Camping in the backyard?

Did you ever do it as a kid?
Would you ever allow your kids?

I never did growing up. I lived in Chicago and our neighborhood was pretty rough (people being shot and stabbed, gangs and drug violence, breaking and entering--our garage was broken into twice) although no where near as bad as it is now.

We now live in a quiet little town outside of Vancouver, WA and I set the tent up in our backyard a couple weeks ago for my oldest daughter's 11th birthday. Her, her 8yo sister and their two friends (11 and 10) camped out that night. The next night my 4 kids slept out there. They slept in the tent for like 4 nights in a row. I just finally took it down on the 4th because the novelty wore off, lol.

Apparently this is a pretty common childhood event for kids in the area. The two girls that camped out have both camped in their own yards before.

Once our grass has a chance to grow back in I'll probably set the tent back up again.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 4:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• YES!! We did it as a kid and once we finally get that darned skunk that hangs around at night we will be doing it with the kids this summer!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Never did it as a kid, but we do with our kids. They love it.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Oh yeah, that was the only thing I ever really liked about summer time! That and no school lol
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• nah, it's not something that interests me. i don't have a problem being outside late....our neighborhood is pretty safe and quiet, but i would just rather sleep indoors lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yep! We got to do that all the time when we were little...we grew up in the country though. Me and my cousins had a blast doing that! My parents are talking about having one for all the grandkids soon! I'm so excited for it!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yep, we do it with our kids all the time. Hot dogs, smores, and all !
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• yeah
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yeah, it was a very popular thing to do for birthday parties and during the summer. My parents got a huge tent with 2 big rooms and would build a fire for us to roast marshmellows and hot dogs....
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I wanted to do the whole camping experience for my dd's birthday but we didn't have the money this year. I wanted to get a fire pit for the back yard, hot dogs, s'mores, etc. Instead they had fish sticks but ate outside around a "fire" that they made from paper and sticks, lol.
    Maybe next year.
    We also started a tradition last year (when we moved to this town/house) that the kids camp out the last weekend before school starts. They're already talking about it and they just started summer vacation two weeks ago, lol.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I never did as a kid, but DH and I are talking about him and our 4 yr old having a daddy/daughter camping night in our back yard.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2011