• In the Spotlight:

How long does it take for infants to get over acid reflex?

My son is 4 1/2 months and still is on Zantac for acid reflex. Just wondering what the average age would be for them to out grow this. I believe most out grow it between 6 months and a year old.

DJMsmom

Asked by DJMsmom at 4:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My niece had it very bad and they told my sister if she hadn't grown out of it by 1 year that they would have to consider doing surgery.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 4:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My son Bentley was over it by 10 months old. Reflux is hard on the baby and mom it's so hard to see you little one in pain. I hope he feels better soon.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 4:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Usually between 6 months and a year. BUT reflux can occur at any point in childhood. Whenever the "insides" grow faster than the "outsides", the stomach can get squashed, which can cause acid reflux. This is why overweight adults are likely to have reflux - all that extra body fat squashed the stomach.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I had it from infancy to age 28. I finally had surgery and it is gone.

I really hope your son outgrows it. It is pure torture.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• usually by a year but sometimes it continues my newphew is 3 and still has it hes had surgery and it didnt reall help much.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My son was 8 months old when we stopped giving him Zantac and Reglan.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 6:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My dd was 13 months when she finally quit spitting up everywhere from the reflux.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008