Should I have to pay my husbands debt if I didnt even know aboutit?

DaddysGirl523

Asked by DaddysGirl523 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• No, and there are laws against that.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 5:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• by law....yes
    you could be lying about not knowing

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• if he's your husband than what's yours is his and what's his is yours.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• when you get married,two people become one. They share everything,money,debt,cars ETC. Now if he was your ex and then got the debt then no. But by technicality,yes you have to. Unless they were acquired before marriage.
    CristaJordan

Answer by CristaJordan at 5:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Depending what state you are in, yes. Here in Texas, no, you do not!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If it is a joint account they can take money from it... Learned that the hard way...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• he wants money for gas, to go eat and owe a friend money so he wants me to sell my stamps for that so now what do you think BIG MOUTHS
    DaddysGirl523

Comment by DaddysGirl523 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My husband came with debt. We work together to pay it off. He didn't think he would ever settle down, so he owes alot. He actually didn't even know how much until after we were married, and I did the math.

He is really good about being frugal and not spending now that we are working toward a future. I have decided that I can't blame him for financial mistakes that happened before I met him.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Tell him to fuck off.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 5:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Depends on your state. But this happened to me with my husband as well. I knew about the initial bill and he told me he took care of it. A year later *I* got served as they were going to sue me for the bill. It was completely legal in the state we were in since they considered all debts joint debts.

You'll want to check your state's laws and regulations in regards to marriage and debts.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 5:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2011