Can my infant be allergic to rice cereal?

My son is 6 months old and everytime I give him rice cereal he gets sick and vomits shortly after. I thought maybe at first it was cause he wasn't quite ready for solids but then i tried the mashed fruit and veggies and he did great, ate them fine without getting sick. I've tried mixing different things and the consistency with the cereal but he reacts the same, he'll gag on it and then within like 20 mins-to an hour he'll throw up. I'm not sure if this is an allergic reaction or if theres something else going on. Anyone else have this problem?

Emilye93

Asked by Emilye93 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it might be too soon on their belly or they may be eating too much of it. An allergy would cause a rash of some kind.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• yes he can be ..my daughter was exactly the same way and she is now 18 months and still can not eat it so it is possible tho it is to early to do an allergy test maybe try waiting for a month or two and trying it agian
    jasmineb614

Answer by jasmineb614 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Anything is possible. I would call your Dr.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would try some oatmeal cereal and see if that gives the same reaction or if it is just the rice cereal. Most are single grain, so I wouldn't stay away from cereal all together if he tolerates another cereal better.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You don't have to give him oatmeal or cereal if u don't want. Just ask your dr.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Might not be an allergy... just a critical review. Have you tasted that stuff? Like wallpaper paste. (Yes, I've had an Unfortunate Wallpaper Paste Incident.)

He doesn't need cereal at all, so don't sweat it. His main meal is still his liquid diet, followed by those yummy fruits and veggies.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2011