Locating Birth Family

I am posting this in an attempt to help my grandmother find information. Does anyone know of any good resources for searching for birth families? She was adopted in 1946. She knows her BM last name, but not her first name. She also has 3 pictures that were mailed to her amother before the adoption was unexpectedly closed in 1948. She has since discovered that the lawyer that handled her adoption was suspected of handling 100's of infant and toddler adoptions illegally.

I know this is a very old case and I know it isn't much info to go on, but it is all we have. My grandmother really wants to find her brother though and is getting so frustrated with all the red tape involved in the official channels. Any help with a place to start looking would be much appreciated.

asmcbride

Asked by asmcbride at 5:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Adoption

• Your grandmother has every reason to be frustrated, the red tape is outrageous. Try these groups:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/14715 The Adoption Reunion Group has a resident "Search Angel". Find her in the sticky posts.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/35065 The Adoption Search Resource Group has loads of information.

Also tell grandma to register on Soundex http://www.isrr.net/registration.shtml 

Good Luck!!!

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Check in with the birthmom group here on Cafemom, they just may be able to help you.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• check the adoption disclosure laws in the state where gma was born and adopted. Some states were late in jumping on the bandwagon to seal bcerts. gma just might have a chance at getting hers with a birthdate in the 1940's.

I used ancestry surname message boards to post that I was looking for the *smith" family in (city, state, and time frame). A genealogist who had helped my uncle with lookups recognised the basic info on the family I had posted and put the uncle in touch with me. 

check with post-adoption unit within that state as well.  and see if there is any available non-identifying information gma can request. Since you believe the adoption was black market- info may be hard to come by, and it may not be accurate.  I'd be looking for other adoptees and nmoms who used this lawyer and see what avenues they've used to obtain info as well. 

adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 4:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't know, but here's a bump! Good luck!
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Your welcome-there are lots of groups under adoption also that may help. Hopefully you can find some helpful resources.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Thank you Kellyjude1
    asmcbride

Comment by asmcbride (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Thank you =)
    asmcbride

Comment by asmcbride (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• adopteeme-my grandmother requested non-identifying info from the state. That is how they found out the adoption was kind of hinky. Her file had "labeled incorrectly" and archived wrong. It took months to find it. Once they did, it was the lady working in the archives that warned my grandmother that the lawyer that handled the adoption had been under investigation and that her chances of finding anything were not good. =(

Thanks for the suggestion of ancestry boards. It is a good angle to try =)
    asmcbride

Comment by asmcbride (original poster) at 9:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No help to offer ~ just wishing you luck in the search!
    susie703

Answer by susie703 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 8:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2011