What would you do? (Changing schools)

My daughter spent grade one at Fairgrounds, it's considered a school in need..meaning that the math and english scores of the kids are low....my daughter can go to a better school for grade two...it's a bit further away but doable. Thing is all her friends are at Fairgrounds and staying there. I want what is best for my child but at the same time I don't want to scar her and take her away from all that she knows. What would you do? I'm leaning on the better school but her tears are killing me!!

drpepper73

Asked by drpepper73 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The better school is what I would choose for my child. It is part of live to meet new kids, they will be fine. My kids moved every 3 years and they did great!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Friends come and go. She is only in second grade. Send her to the better school. She WILL make new friends.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I don't know. That's a tough one. Maybe you could try the new school and see how she does. If she isn't doing well or is sad there, maybe you could go back to the first school. My brother moved his kids school because they moved to a different school district. My niece was in about the same grade and a straight A student. She got so depressed from not seeing her friends and hating her new school that she started making all Fs. They moved back to the first school and she did really well again. (the qualities of the schools by test score were opposite, meaning the first school was the "better" school) Just something to think about. You can always take her back to the first if the other doesn't work out well.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would stay, as long as your dd is doing well, why do test scores of the rest of the school matter? I would say stay. Just cause I know how i hated switching schools as a kid.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My kids have had to change schools because we've moved. They adjust quickly. She'll make friends.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• minimo77~It matters that the other test scores are low because the kids are not being taught and helped like they should be. My daughter is a better reader than anyone in her class but they don't try to challenge her, instead they ignore her and pay more attention to the kid that can't read. I don't think that's fair to my kid. I want what's best for her future....The other school has high marks, is nicer and has better clubs and what not. Her education is the most important thing....Hmmm, I think I've made up my mind.
    Thanks everyone.
    drpepper73

Comment by drpepper73 (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2011