Question about interpersonal relationships in preschool

Hi! I'm doing a research project on preschool aged little girls and need help from moms! If you can answer any of these questions that would be so helpful!

How do you think your daughter communicates to develop interpersonal relationships?

What kind of information do you think she might disclose when developing interpersonal relationships?

Do you think the environment she is in affects her interpersonal relationships (preschool, your friend's kids, neighbors)?

misscarlyc

Asked by misscarlyc at 5:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• My daughter is only 3 and is new to pre school, but she definitely isn't shy about meeting and playing with new kids. She will often simply go up and involve herself in whatever activity the other kids are doing. The information she shares is really pretty basic. "I'm Blythe" "I'm 3 years old" "That's my mommy". "I like that too". Nothing too big, but it gets the job done, and it seems pretty standard for the age group. I think her environment would affect her more if she were shy and was nervous about getting to know new people, but for her, she kind of jumps into the action wherever she is.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Thanks for your help!

I'm finding that a lot of times, friendships develop based on who their parents are with. Is your daughter friends with your friend's children? Or does she make most of her relationships in school?
    misscarlyc

Answer by misscarlyc at 6:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Both really...obviously we are around my friends and family more often so she does have the opportunity to play more with their kids...but even when we're at the park or out of the house she will go out and interact with other kids. Its just that she doesn't see these kids very much, if at all, afterward. She does have friends at school and friends at gymnastics that we didn't introduce her to.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My daughter was in preschool last school year so its not that long ago......before she was in preschool she was friends with the children of my friends. Once she started preschool, she made her own friends and through her friendships with the other girls, I made friends with the mothers of these little girls. I will also admit that I probably influence who she is most friendly with. If she becomes friends with a girl who is from a family that has similar morals and beliefs as our own, I encourage spending more time with that child.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2008