Does anyone else have Gestational Diabetes?

I took my 1st 1 hr test right before 25 weeks. I had to switch docs at 26 weeks (because he doesnt deliver babies anymore) So at 28 weeks I was sent to take the 1hr again! I failed it. So then I was told I had to take the 3 hour test at 30 weeks. Which I went 1 day before my 30 week make. And well my numbers came back abnormal. So now I have GD! My doctor told me I have to do a stress test and ultrasound weekly. As well as getting blood drawn. And I also have to see an endocrinologist... What was your experience with GD? Because this is the 1st time I have had this problem, I have 2 perfectly healthy children and never had issues before. So now I am nervous! Everyone keeps saying I will have a HUGE baby, but at 29 weeks she was measuring at about 2 lbs 14oz! So thats a typical size for 30 weeks from what I was told. And they are estimating that Madie will be about 7- 7 1/2 pounds at birth. Now that would be smaller than average cause my son was 8lbs and saughter was 7,9! So should I really be worried I will have a bigger baby? Or do alot of people just say the baby will be alot bigger. I am freakin out here and would like to hear some stories from others that delt with it or are currently dealing with it

Karopie_99

Asked by Karopie_99 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• As long as the GD is kept under control you shouldn't have a baby that is abnormally large. I had GD with both of my prior pregnancies. My first was born at 32 weeks weighing 3lbs 0oz. My second was born at 38 weeks weighing 4lbs 6oz. So I didn't end up with big babies because of GD. Try not to stress out too much mama! As long as you are seeing an endocrinologist and following their directions you should be fine. Good luck!
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 7:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I had gestational diabetes with my youngest DS..I had to have several ultrasounds because of the fluid,,my DS weighed 9lbs 1oz the largest baby I had..we both got tested for diabetes after he was born & we were both fine
    MrsMouse

Answer by MrsMouse at 7:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I had GD with all 3 of my pregnancies, all of my babies were healthy and are still healthy. They weighed 9lbs; 4.6 lbs and 6.2 lbs. The only one to have any GD related problems at birth was my 3rd, she had a hard time regulating her blood sugar for about 12 hours after she was born, this happens sometimes with GD babies. Just make sure you follow your diet and keep track of your numbers and everything should be just fine. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 7:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I had GD with my 1st pregnancy. I had to watch what I ate, test my blood and eat frequently. I was referred to a dietician who helped me figure out better choices so my sugar levels wouldn't spike. DD was born at 41 weeks weighing 7 lb 14 oz so she wasn't big which means I did an OK job.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I was just informed of all of this last night. So I havent gotten an appt with the endocrinologist yet. the appt will be made tomorrow. what type of diet do they put you on? Or is it based off how your numbers are? Im new to all this so I have no clue. And Id rather ask people that been thru it or are currently going thru it instead of generic online information
    Karopie_99

Comment by Karopie_99 (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• A big baby isn't necessarily any problem, of course.
    Many women prefer to avoid unnecessary interventions so they will work on diet and no NST / Ultrasounds without indication.
    (Most women never take these tests!)
    I think the first bit of advice would be to interview your doctor and consider consulting with another care provider.
    Who we hire to attend our maternity care can be our biggest risk factor.
    Informed Consent makes a big difference--
    Good luck!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I did, with my dd, she was 8.3lbs and we were both fine. Just do as drs say all will be ok!!! :)
    Blakesgirl31

Answer by Blakesgirl31 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I had GD with my first pregnancy listened to everything the dietitian told me and ended up loosing 5 pounds because my midwife told me that i had starved myself (even though they agreed on the eating schedule) so i pretty much ate a healthier version of what i did before finding out i had GD but i ate when i was hungry and my daughter was born 7 lbs 5 oz and was perfectly fine my bit of advice is to just cut back on sugary items and not to worry so much just because you have GD doesn't mean you have to change radically just eat healthy but eat when you are hungry when i was listening to the dietitian my baby stopped moving and i made the decision to do what was best for her not what they said was best
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 11:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2011