What is common sense?

This is kind of a s/o of another question....

Do you think what is common sense to one person may not necessarily be common sense to another?

For example: Some parents give their kids benadryl to help them sleep. To me it is common sense that you don't give your kids meds. unless they are actually needed. But others may disagree.

What do you think? Who determines what is common sense? What are some things that you think are common sense? (And lets avoid things like if your child is missing for 30 days, it is common sense to call the police...I'm talking everyday stuff that some may see as common sense and others may think differently)

MrsMWF

Asked by MrsMWF at 7:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• CMMON SENSE.... is a different thing to all people.... religion, race, environment , place where yu live ( europe, america, asia etc.) all influence what is a senseful thing to do! I think that what I may find just dumb for someone to do, may be normal based on how, where, when , and in what culture they were raised! IDK... JMHO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i think that should be common sense to any parent. my SIL told me she used to put Nyquil in her daughter's nighttime milk, so much so that she became "immune" to it and my SIL was annoyed by this. she no longer has custody of her daughter. she knew damn well what it would do but did it anyway for her own selfish needs.

if someone is too stupid or ignorant to know some of this stuff, they shouldn't have children.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Common sense:

Don't give your child unnecessary medications to "help them sleep", don't put your own selfish needs before your child, don't give them too much sugar, I could go on and on and if anyone has a question as to what common sense is then they are free to message me. I think that people who go out and leave their kid to be with a babysitter more than them or someone who doesn't pay attention to their child should not have children. It has happened before and it will happen again. I don't think parents realize that you as a parent are molding a person, you are responsible for how they are going to turn out. I hope people will grow up and learn "common sense" but it looks grim. We can only hope that others intervene before the child is severely hurt or emotionally damaged.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 7:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• to me common sense is using your judgement along with knowledge/education to make decisions, something quite a few ppl I know don't have. some ppl just do whatever they want thinking that becuz they believe it to be a good idea that it actually is. but if they were to use common sense they'd realize some things aren't a good idea.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 7:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• lets see. playing with fire would be one that comes to mind. for example letting my 2 yr old light her own fireworks. i did not want to do it and my sister in law let her do it. that to me was like no common sense. i would of instead lit it for her.
    Anonymous

• mmsfirstone pretty much took the words out of my fingertips
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Common sense is really a moving target. It depends on one's personal experience as well as the needs of a child - per your example. It is common sense to do what your doctor suggested. DD's doctor suggested benadryl when she has problems sleeping. The doctor has also prescribed amphetamines (aka diet pills) for my underweight DD. DD has ADHD and these are both medications commonly prescribed to treat ADHD's hyperactivity as well as the trouble sleeping that these kids have...Some people don't feel that ADHD exists and refuse to give their kids medications.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Common sense is the ability to look at a multi- facted problem, connect the dots by identifying the relationship between the different entities, and  possess the ability to formulate a workable solution based on the information at hand, prior experience and their own knowledge base.

A person with common sense would realize that it is not healthy for a child to routinely be dosed up with Benadryl, in order to induce sleep, but who might decide that giving a dose of Benadryl to a child who was taking an all night transglobal flight might be be kind and appropriate. The common sensical person might also run it by their pediatrician for safe dose guidelines and reinforcement.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• well commun sense is to prevent safty first and mantainance. only a doctor can prescribe medice for any issue. 80 % will vote for that statement. in terms of cafe mom answer is to ask what can i do to sleep my child. read and use your commun sense to choose best anwer or ask even in google but i think a child drown in a pool is a pain ful way of negligence for readers who use commun sense and are active caring with their children and know that all she needed was to prevent an accident. Here is to prevent a " negligence murder". If this could happend to any one of us? yes it could happen to any one. 30 days with out reporting a child , many lies and a crazy family liars .thats a trial case.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 9:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Common sense is thinking before you act and being able to make an informed decision. Like buckling your kids in the car and keeping them in a car seat as long as they need to be even if the law says they are old enough to not be in one. My dd probably would have been hurt today if not for her booster seat.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011