Watching my infant nephew, do i accept compensation?

I'm a stay at home mom of 4 kiddos (5, 4, 2, & 8 month's ). Previously I was an in home care giver for special needs children (in which I had to be CPR certified) My sister- in-law is going back to work now and I am watching my squishy lil 8week old nephew about 3 days a week from 7-12 hours a day. They keep asking me how much they should pay me, but I have no idea what to say. I want to say don't pay me anything, I'm his Auntie after all, and I love him to pieces. Its a treat to be able to snuggle and sing with him, feed him and love on him; but it is also a lot of work especially on the long early days where its necessary to rearrange our entire normal schedule. My husband recently got laid off so financially we're greatly struggling and could use a few dollars as long as it was something they could afford. But my relationship with my family is more important than any money. Any suggestions? We're family and I want to bless them, but I just don't know what to say :0/ What is a fair price for family or should I charge at all? Thank you!!

ChristianMamaO3

Asked by ChristianMamaO3 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• $25 bucks a day minimum. Even if you only have him 7 hours that is less than $3.60 an hour.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think if you don't charge anything, you'll start resenting having to take care of him - especially when you're working your family's schedule around him. The going rate for child care varies very widely by area, so I don't want to suggest a $ figure. I'd charge 60 - 80% of the going rate because it's family.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would tell her that you enjoy watching your nephew and would like no compensation. But, since you are in a financial bind if she would like to give you money until your husband finds work you will accept it, but you will not ask for an amount. Anything she gives you will be perfect. But, you will only accept it until the finances are caught up.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 7:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I do 15 a day for family and thats about 12 hours I have the little girl but they are family, I might say 20 if they can afford it but I wouldn't go higher than 30 a day that's a bit much for family, but that's just my opinion, I know my family can't afford alot so I dont ask for much.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I agree with ginger!! I'd just tell her if she could spare a bit on payday then you'd except it but that if she really needed her money not to worry about it. that after ds finds work you wouldn't want her to pay you anything anymore. It's nice to have family to help out these days, I don't know how we'd make it if we had to pay for a sitter.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 9:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If you want to give them a set amount (which honestly is easier than leaving it open ended), tell them $75.00 a week. That's definitely saving them a ton, their son will get better care, and it will give you a little extra without cramping their style too much.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 3:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Charge them a set amount. They may be able to pay you pre-tax from a flexible spending account.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2011