Have you heard of "smelly hair syndrome?"

We discovered that Smelly Hair Syndrome manifests in one striking symptom: a horrific odor that emanates from the hair and scalp. According to the people who have commented on our blog, the olfactory character of the smell varies from person to person. Some describe it as "... stinks like a diaper." Others have compared the smell to "sour milk, wet dog, moldy hay, potatoes, an old shoe or dirty socks, a jacket that's never been to the dry cleaner, and an oily smell mixed with vomit." The most unusual description we've heard was "... sort of a cross between Dorito's Bold BBQ chips and cinnamon (and not a sweet smell, actually kinda foul) and maybe a hint of cheese." And, finally, one unfortunate reader told us that "my hair is so smelly that sometimes flies buzz around my head."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/perry-romanowski/smelly-hair-syndrome_b_888736.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Wow...and no.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Ewwwwwww. I have never heard of that. DOes this hapen to people who NEVER wash their hair????
    Or are you just messin' with us? ;-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Oh never mind---I just read the article and it seems to be a real phenomenon. How horrible.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think mine smells mildewy if I don't dry it. It is so thick that it does not dry on its own for sometimes 24 hours.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Man my sons hair always stinks. I mean fresh out the shower & washed it dries and stinks. We havent ever been able to figure out why. Thanks for the article.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2011