Isn't this the dumbest thing for a collection agency to say...

Okay so i have been getting calls from a collection agency for a credit card that is charged off. They call and leave a message that says "this call is for Jane Doe. If you are not jane doe then hang up. Then there is a pause. Theny they say this is an attempt to collect a debt, etc. "Isn't that stupid. Like someone is going to hang up . they are probably going to listen to see what its about. I would think that would be somesort of privacy invasion, but i don't know. I know that when places call your references or sometrying to find you they can't let on to them that you owe them momey. What is different than leaving a voice mail on someones number that you aren't sure it is them? I thought that was a rediculously funny message.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Money & Work

• I get those calls all the time....but for people that I never even heard of. They ask for 3 different names, and sometimes call 10 times a day! And, unfortunately for me, there's no option to do anything to tell them they have the wrong number!!! UURrrgggghh....frustrating!
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 6:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• They are not allowed to disclose on any voicemail about it being an attempt to collect a debt. That is a direct violation of the FDCP act, so they are not going by the book whoever it is.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• LOL. I hate collection agencies too.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 1:54 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Just because it's charged off dosen't release you from being liable for it. It just means the bank took it off their books. Meaning they could have sold it to collections. You still owe the money if it's within the statute of limitations. If they sue you will lose. Being charged off from the original creditor dosen't matter.....
    Anonymous