Unground power lines-ice storm?

They're forecasting an ice storm here for Thursday and they always make me scared ever since the one a few years ago when we were without power for almost 2 weeks. However we just moved to a new neighborhood where the power lines are underground--are we less likely to lose our power in an ice storm with underground lines? I know it's not impossible becaues I remember in the one a few years ago I had friends with underground lines who still lost theirs. Just curious if anyone knows the answer to this, I googled around but couldn't find any information!

aurorabunny

Asked by aurorabunny at 5:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Unless they are all underground from the power plant to your house you still run the risk of loosing power. What usually happens is that a tree won't be able stand through all the weight of the ice and will fall over on power lines, so if you live in an area where the power companies cut down trees that threaten power lines you might be okay.
    Anonymous

• Well mom and dads power lines are underground now. It does cut down somewhat on losing power, but if the powerloss happens at a station or on the lines that lead to your neighborhood, you are still SOL. We do really well here. We are close to a station and our lines run thru the alley so the cut the trees back really far.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It won't matter. It's the main transmission lines that are the problem. You know, the ones on the huge metal towers. When they fail, they take everything "downstream" of them too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We have underground lines as well and we got hit with the ice storm on Thursday and lost power for a day and a half. My fiance is a lineman for the power company here and has told me that it doesn't matter if our lines are underground because the poles are above ground and it all depends on where your circut comes from. Long and the short of it, unless power lines ALL go underground (and they cannot) you always run the risk of a power outage!!!
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• in a way yes since there are less trees to fall on lines and less polls to snap. but you still have transformers, power relays, other streets that might not have underground wires and the such that are still susceptible to the elements. the percentage chance of your power going out is somewhat related to how much of your city/county/town/municipality/district's electricity is underground.

P.S. I hate to remind you of this. but the whole north east was without power a few years ago because the power lines from the power plants went down. prepare for the worst and hope for the best!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• the underground lines are not a worry, they are below the frost line, its the transformers that are the problem, if they go then you will be with out power
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 10:00 AM on Dec. 17, 2008