Shoul I feel Guilty about considering giving up breastfeeding?

My doc has put me on Zoloft for PPD and i havent taken it for fear it will get to my son through my milk but which is more important my milk or my sanity

LuvMyConor

Asked by LuvMyConor at 7:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• You do what you need to do. Do NOT let anyone guilt you over doing what is best for you and your baby.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You have to decide that for yourself. I had PPD, but I saw a counselor and found other ways of dealing with it. I have a history o depression, and for the most part, through diet, exercise, and healthy outlets, I'm able to manage it med-free. You might try other ways of treating it before you start taking the Zoloft. I'm a big proponent of breastfeeding, however, your sanity IS more important. If you feel like your PPD is getting in the way of your parenting, or you feel like the Zoloft is the way you need to go, then don't let yourself or anyone else make you feel guilty. We women take so much on and out too much pressure on ourselves to be perfect people, perfect wives, perfect moms, and none of us are. So we feel guilty for it. If this is the worst thing you do as a mom, you're lucky!! Only you can decide what's right for your family, but don't beat yourself up either way. Hugs, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Thank u! I wanna do whats best for us both I just cant shake the guilt
    LuvMyConor

Comment by LuvMyConor (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If you give up breastfeeding and feed your baby formula, you will still have a healthy child. Your son won't suffer by drinking formula the way he might ( not saying he will suffer at all) if you are not the best mom you can be because of PPD. If you take care of yourself, then you can take the best care of your baby. Do not feel guilty for one nanosecond if you decide to give up breastfeeding. I have seen a lot of women on here who think women who do not breastfeed are evil, or whatever. Do not buy into those thoughts, take care of YOU!
    pegleg63

Answer by pegleg63 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• you need to do what is best for you to be able to take care of your baby. Do not feel bad or let anyone make you feel that way. Is there another pill that won't interfer with breast feeding? What did your Dr say?
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• They say this is the safest one to take but that some of it will reach him. I have giving him formula a few times and he does fine with it, its me who freaks out. It literally breaks my heart. I cried when i gave him formula. Idk why it bothers me so badly. i just dont know what to do. Maybe its the depression causing the guilt
    LuvMyConor

Comment by LuvMyConor (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Believe me, you are the ONLY person who knows which is best for you and your baby. Today's society makes us mom's feel guilty because we are not following their rules or makes us second guess our decision. Like I told my daughter, who chose not to breastfeed her daughter, its OK not to, the police will not be banging down your door and so relax, enjoy the baby and most important take care of yourself because you are not doing the baby any good if you are not emotionally stable.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 7:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• U wouldn't be a good mother if u didnt feel guilty! Very normal to feel that way, I felt so guilty I cried! But hell, ya can't breast feed them till they're 20, lol!!! ;) doll, take the zoloft! That's the best thing u can do for ur child, u have to be healthy to be there for ur baby! Trust me ur baby will benefit much more from a happy mommy then breast milk, plus you've already given ur baby some breast milk, better than none!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 8:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Many mom's feel guilt over breastfeeding. Especially mom's that frequent Internet forums. There's peer pressure to do it. Breast milk is best, but it's not the only healthy, safe option. IN the end, if you're doing what is best for your child, you've got nothing to feel guilty about. I was able to BF one child but not the other. I gave up on the guilt - my son thrived and was no worse for the wear for going to formula. If that's the choice you make, it'll be ok.

if you need medication for your health (which in turn impacts your child) you need it. If you stop nursing to care for your health - there is NOTHING to feel guilt over.

If you've got PPD remember that it could be clouding your emotions .Plenty of women put pressure on themselves and therefore guilt over nursing - but you may find peace once you get to a healthier mental state.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I stopped breastfeeding at 18 months with my son due to being put on meds for depression, and I can't tell you how guilty I felt. My doc, though, pointed out that I could better care for my family without this black cloud hanging over my head. He was right, and I felt a million times better. I'm a better mother for it- I get out and do things, I am able to take them places, I'm losing weight now. It's a process, and you have to take that first step. You shouldn't feel guilty for that at all, and don't let anyone make you!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2011