Why do people not reply to messages anymore?

I notice that it's almost a fad nowadays that people just not respond to messages anymore - via phone, facebook or email. Then, they claim that they either forgot to respond or thought that they did or that they never received the message. I found an old college friend on Facebook and she accepted my friend request but never responded to my message. If she doesn't remember me, I should think she would let me know. But this also happens with longtime friends, too. And if I do the same thing to their messages, they get all upset. I only did it as an experiment but find it odd that people try to pass it off as normal or okay not to respond. I had one friend that never responded to a few voicemails of mine for several months, then out of the blue, calls me up & tries to get me to play tennis w/her (though we've never done that). I just find this trend of behavior erratic. I can understand that some people don't know how to respond but when it's a harmless message, like "how hae you been or what have you been up to?" - I don't get why you wouldn't respond. What do you think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• I would stop trying. I would try a couple of times to make sure they did receive my messages but after that...I would leave it up to them.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• People have busy lives. This time of year most people are socializing, outdoors and enjoing the summer. I wouldn't worry about it. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 7:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I do feel that people blow off responding to messages when it's not a voice or a face they are communicating with. I've been guilty of not answering myself and I feel guilty about it. Unfortunately, sometimes I read a message when I'm not in the right head space or don't have the time to respond. Then I forget to. :(
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Manners have gone out the window.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• the only time i ignore messages on fb is when its from someone i really dont want to talk to, or its a subject im not comfortable discussing, I have very strong opinions on a lot of things so its better just to let it go than start a fight. Probably not the best way to handle things.

well shouldnt say only time, i check my yahoo once a month, about the time bills come in and i only read the bills, the rest get deleted most of the time before being read. if its something important they can call me, and if they dont have my number then i really dont care what they have to say, yeah rude i know but all the important people in my life have my number and they are the ones that matter
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2011