How to get a child to stop lying about a step parent when other parent is telling the child things

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• kids that have bio parents and step parents tend to manipulate them and play both sides to get the results they want.
    Anonymous

• I know that but this is the kid saying that he is being beat when hes not. There is hidden "nanny cams" all over the house to prove that hes not being hit, and yet he continues to say that he is.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i not a lot more info to help it could be as simple as the bio parents is basicly teaching him to and most kids as keen to please a parent
    or it could be a form of attachmnet disorder
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• He is trying to play everyone off of each other. Does he know you have nanny cams? I wouldn't let him know.Let him dig his own little hole.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• He is 3 years old. Im not sure that he even understands the concept of lying? I know that they "play" the parent again the other but this is beyond that. My fiance and his ex are going through a custody battle. I've never had a problem with him misbehaving or saying this stuff and then the last month everything has switched. Calls me a bitch, throws things at me, and recently started saying he hates me, he doesnt love me, that i hit him, and that I choke him. Him and I used to be very close until he started doing all of this. Now I dont feel comfortable being alone with him, because of him saying these things.He has no idea there is a custody battle going on, and there has not been any new changes in our household?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• When my children lie, they have to pick up all the dog poop....you know, for BSing me.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• That is awesome! I never thought of that !!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• hmmm sounds like he being feed this stuff and being told its ok to say it to you it i wear you i tell him it no ok to lie or swear and tell him he going to have to go sit in time out for 3 mins and when you come back ask for him to say sorry if he wont tell him he will have to stay in time out for another 3 mins then keep doing this till he says sorry . dont take it personal at all but yes try to stay in view of the camera or have someone see it its sad us step moms need to do these things also keep note of when he say or dose these thing !

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• also start a sicker chart for being good positive praise is a big thing show him that you and you man want a good boy by giving him stickers for being good were all guilty of only doing sticker when the help the best time for sticker is one there being so good you don't even think about it eg he sit nicely watching tv talking to you " give a sticker show him that's what kinda boy you want " also do one on one with him like baking cakes and take photo of him smiling and put them up for him to see he only 3 he need to understand he can be happy with you and he need to understand he can have fun with you

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i think he has herd this from somewhere or has seen this an is reacting in the way he saw what happen to retaliate not sure just a guess but i hold everything gets worked out. i would sit him down as a couple with you an his father(real) if in the picture or the step an tell him we know your lieing an explain what lieing is an then say that if he continues he will have to sit in time out or do something so he learns. Also ask him if anybody has been hurtting him cuz your not cuz he might be acting like this cuz your not saveing him an someone is hurting him. i hope not but it pops in my head when i read it. good luck keep us posted.
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 9:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2011