Swimmers ear??

Have you had it? I was reading to use rubbing alcohol?? True or not??? Have you used this method?

bizima4

Asked by bizima4 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My girls would get it every summer. The dr told me after they get out of the pool to pour a little in each ear and let it run out. It has kept them from getting it since.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• They use to do this at summer camps, (use alcoloh) when I went as a child. They do make an over the courter medication. You can get for a few dallors at any pharmancy....
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I used to get it. Rubbing alcohol helps. Also, use a blow-dryer to dry out their ears daily.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I find the pouring of alcohol straight into the ear awkward but a nurse friend once told me that you can just dip a Qtip into rubbing alcohol and swab your ear with it and let it naturally air dry. It works and I've done it this way ever since! The reasoning behind this is that the alcohol helps the moisture evaporate faster, thus returning your ear to its natural humidity.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yep, my middle son had that a few times. Our pediatrician told us we could mix up our own drops at home, and use those in his ears after swimming or bathing. I bought a cheap little squirt bottle and I keep it in that. It is 2 oz. of white vinegar mixed with 2 oz of tap water. Put 5 drops in each ear after swimming/bathing. Allow drops to stay in for a few minutes and then tilt head and drain ear out on a kleenex/paper towel. Since he has used that... he has not had any more problems with swimmers ear.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2011