Looking for a job, where do I start?

My youngest is starting school this fall. I have been a SAHM. I quit HS, stupid I know. I have no idea where to start. I am going to get my GED. As for a job, I have no skills and no idea what to do. I am terrible with money, I can't think quick. It takes me awhile and feel panicked, like I should be hurrying and my mind goes blank. So I don't want a cashier job or anything where I will have to handle money. There have been times I have gave someone too much or too little and then I feel like an idiot. I can't even do yard sales.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• LOL I am in your same shoes :-) but het we're not as stupid as we think we are..lol..I just today checked in with our local state careeer center..You could see if there's one in your area?? I do have my CDL have since I was 18 will be 30, anyhow. Maybe something you could check into. They train you and trust me it's not as scary driving as you feel it is..Everyone feels tha way ends up loving it. I can back a bus better than my van..lol...Plus your off when your kids are off, your able to drive their field trips go along and get paid while doing it..It's extra cash with free afternoons too..
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• how bout a Starbux barista?? you don't need experience..they only pay minimum but it's better than nothing and poeple that I know that work there LOVE it :) and you get free coffee...at least that way you get some experience...you can do customer service at somewhere fun like Old Navy and just not work the register...a book store?? there's lots of fun places where you don't need an education or experience :) good luck!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Also I didn't graduate nor have my GED.. I kick my self every day it seems for not finishing out my last year and a half of high school..

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Think about things you LOVE to do. A job just for the sake of a job won't make you happen even if it brings in money. Start with making a list...take your time. Be creative and your time will be well spent. :)
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You could do janitorial work. Check with nursing homes. Some have Aide training.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You have experience raising kids. You could start a home daycare. you would be there when your kids get home and still manage your life. Good Luck !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i am in your boat and have a stay at home mom now for the last 10 years but due to a divorce I have to find work. I am not good with money either so I do not want a cashier job. I heard mcdonalds is a good company for mom hours. I only have done jobs like factory, produce, catering, worked in the childrens dept. Not a glamous job but hotel cleaning would be school hours and that is what I hope to get but will go to a place that helps single woman get on their feet. Try some agenices or even someone told me your local human resource office can get you help with skills. What job are you looking for? skills needed for that job? school hours? then work from there. Use your computer since can do most jobs over the computer now. Use all your local rescoures you can find. Happy job hunting.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 8:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You wont have skills until you get out there and get some. Don't be scared. We have had to put ourselves out there. Once you start you will get the hang of it.
    Anonymous

• I'd say after you get your GED look in to some certification of completion programs, I'm in a CNA class right now and I love it, nothing with money included. I'd just think of what you are good at and enjoy and try to find a program/job that relates to that. If you like cooking I'd go for a job related to that, if you like taking care of people, being as how that is a big part of being a stay at home mom, look into things that help you do that. I'd also go to some local job fairs or go to a few temp agencies to see what is out there that interests you. There are alot of different ways you can go with it. Try not to be scared just think of all the different things you'll be able to do.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value! Skills such as time management, logistics, finance, management, etc. Additionally, you probably have done some great volunteer work and may have had part time or even consulting positions while you were home.
    Start with a great resume; update (or create) a Linkedin profile; let everyone you know that you are looking for a new position. How are your skills? You may want to take a couple of classes at a community college, like Microsoft office (at least Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and a basic bookkeeping class.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2011