Does one RSVP a regret for a party

Does one have to RSVP a regret for a party, even if it looks like it was a "general" invitation my child received in class (no envelope or anything and his name is not on the invitation.) Don't want to look stupid RSVPing that we can't go if this isn't the "protocol" for such things or whatever.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• id call the parents and find out the details.
    Anonymous

• YES< YES< and YES! R.S.V.P.= "Répondez s'il vous plaît", a French phrase that translates to "please respond"" or literally "respond, if you please".

My son was married in Nov. It was frustrating when people don't respond and then decide to show up. Per head costs mean a deadline for a count. Not just at weddings, but many people cater parties.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I am a person that definitely is for following all the right rules of etiquet, but if the parent did not include a contact number to RSVP, then I would think that she isn't needing or wanting the calls. She probably doesn't want to have to say, a dozen times..."I'm so sorry your child cannot come..." and what else can you say to that? BUT, if there IS the contact info, even tho your child is not named on an envelope, I would RSVP.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Since the invite did not appear to be personal, I'd skip RSVPing a regret unless it is your child's close friend who will be expecting your child to attend.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It never hurts to let the parents know you can't make it. Then they aren't left wondering how many kids will show up unannounced. If there is RSVP info, then RSVP - no matter how "general" and unpersonal the invitation might look.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It is proper etiquette to respond if there is a response number. 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes!! It will only take a minute and is the right thing to do.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 11:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I just held a bday party for my son and asked parents to respond by the Wed before so that I would know who would and who wouldn't be there. I got 1 response! I was a little annoyed, but I guess alot of people just weren't raised to respond maybe? I don't know, but it definitely would have been nice to know that I was only planning for 5 kids as opposed to the possibility of 20.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yes, absolutely. That is the single most polite thing you can do in this situation. My boy's best friend just had a party last weekend and it was held up waiting for other kids to come.
    Lizzysapisces

Answer by Lizzysapisces at 6:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• It is polite and correct to let the parent know that you will not attend.

Sad story. We went to a birthday party last weekend. All the girls in class were invited. I called to say my daughter would be there, and we went. The mom said I was the only one that called and we were the only ones that showed! They lost a lot of money and her daughter was sad, thinking more people would come. It's courtesy to call either way.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2008