S/o "false facts" - What is the most common misconception about your belief system?

TikiWiki33

Asked by TikiWiki33 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• That it doesn't exist
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• P.S. - If everyone could specify their belief system, that would be helpful. Thanks!
    TikiWiki33

Comment by TikiWiki33 (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'm atheist. I'll say the most common misconception I've seen that people have is atheists can't possibly have morals since we don't believe in a god.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• For me (Christian Universalist), I get told a lot that I just want to believe what makes me happy, which seems to imply I "twist" scripture and faith to fit my personal preferences. Now I know we're all at least a little guilty of this - you see what you are if you get what I mean - but I believe as I do because I honestly and sincerely believe it is true, not because I just don't want to face the truth and would rather things be pretty and nice even when others say they shouldn't be. I have put a lot of time, study, and reflection into my beliefs, and I genuinely and completely believe God is love, unconditionally and completely. I don't believe my faith is at all unreasonable or "unBiblical", I just understand the Bible differently than most, I guess. And I try to make sure my faith is one that is compatible with what we can learn through science and other means of information...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• That means I believe my beliefs are quite valid and supported, and I don't believe that my way of faith is any less realistic or reasonable than those of others. Though I understand that discrediting me that way really works to help them feel more confident in their beliefs, even if I know that a further look at what I believe, and why, would show that I have just as much to stand on as they do. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• That it's not based on logic and reason

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Oh! Sorry, I'm Jewish

Sharon
    momto2boys973

• I'm a Pagan Witch... So lets see...

Witches are make believe
    Pagans worship the Devil
    Pagans hate Christians
    You have to be Goth to be a "real Pagan"
    Pagans are only Pagans to get attention
    Witches work with evil spirits or demons
    Witches are evil

I could keep going...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Christian - that I'm hiding behind the Bible and have never looked into science. philosophy, history, or any other subject for that matter, and that I have no independent thought of my own.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Devil Worshipper or that I dont believe in a higher power.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2011