Is 1 1/2 too young to start potty training?

vickie1987

Asked by vickie1987 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think so. It depends how much time you want to spend doing it. When they are ready, it usually doesn't take much time. I've heard of people starting it at that age and it took months. I would prefer to wait and have it take less time.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• ya,i think so too she likes to sit on the potty but i dont think she puts 2 and 2 together...thanks
    vickie1987

Comment by vickie1987 (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Depends on the child, girls alot of the time will pickit up quickly, depends on the personality. If they cant pull up their pants, sit, go, and all that on their own, or when your doing all that for them, its not realy them being trained, its you.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My son is almost 19 months and we have slowly been introducing things to him and taking cues from him. We change him in the bathroom standing up and put his poop in the potty and have him flush it so he gets used to it. He can tell us when he needs to go poop or when he has pooped but has no concept of pee and doesnt usually want to stop playing to go sit on the potty.
    mamakalkowski

Answer by mamakalkowski at 9:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• yes- and no... It's not to early to introduce the idea and start talking about it but IMO it is to young to expect nay kind of results. I am a big fan of potty guiding not potty training. It is so much less stressful when you encourage the ideas but don't force them or try to put a time table on them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Depends on your approach. The 3 Day Method recommends starting at 22 months. I'd highly recommend it! We had great success with it!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• if she or he is interested then yes i would try it if you see she or he doesnt understand yet or dont want to them stop an return maybe 6 months or when she or he feels into it again my bro was potty trained easy an he turns 2 in October but my daughter we had potty train lots of times an she keep wanting to go back an now shes almost their an shes turning 4 this year each of them r different an will do things at a different pace. their diaper is like a security to them.
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 9:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I was potty trained at the age of one. My mom told me that she sat my potty next to hers and one day after watching her I went pee all on my own and never wet my pants after that.
    kandimomma

Answer by kandimomma at 9:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i started at 15months introducing it and she was doing great and then i had to take a long break from it and then restarted it afte 2yrs and she is doing fantastic. she got the peeing down when she is asked and she wakes up telling me she has to pee but poop is a little more difficult. so i am just taking it on her time table. she is doing it when she is ready. she doesn;t tell yet but she is on her way. so i would just introduce and do the child lead thing. i got a really cute potty that plays music when they pee. its great i have not done rewards. just alot of praise and tellign everyone. she is so proud when she does it. i tried the reward system and it totally backfired on me. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011