Is it just me...I find it difficult to make friends with women

I am in my early 40s and moved to the south about seven years ago...I find the women in the south to be very judgemental and stand offish..I get such mean nasty looks from both black and white women and don't get it!!! Help me understand...I was in Walmart just the other day at the check out line and the woman behind me stood so far away from me like I had some kind of disease and then she ended up going in another line. I get that all the time....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• Wow, how rude. Sorry you are dealing with that.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• That sucks.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I.m from the south and could not imagine treating anyone like crap. I'm really sorry
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Im from the South too and have seen a few people like that but most people are really nice once you get to know them so don;t be to quick to judge.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• How do you know she was trying to stay away from you? Are you sure the looks are for you could be something behind you is going on. I guess I don't stare at people enough because I never notice if people are giving me dirty looks or not.lol
    Anonymous

• well,you cant please anybody. just make sure you are not crossing any boundaries or react the same way or thing they do to you. the secret is SMILE, just smile back whatever they do or say or hear from them, even you are affected, DONT SHOW THEM. If you are a stranger better not allow others to read your mind. always be on guard yet you are doing it to win them.
    dlovelymomma

Answer by dlovelymomma at 10:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I am not sure if you are just blowing it out of proportion.
    Southerners don't like to get close unless they know you. The odd looks could be because you are new. Where in the south are you? Do you dress oddly to them? Or are you just in the wrong area?
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 9:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I find it difficult, too. Either I need to have loads of extra money to spend doing social pampering, or they want me to stay out late partying with them. I just don't fit in, because I don't enjoy either of those activities.
    Anonymous

• I am in the same boat. I feel like I have a disease or maybe I'm just a bitch. I was very friendly with our neighbors up until last year out of nowhere they stopped talking to me, I joined a moms group and we went to the pool and no one talked to me. Maybe its because I'm the newbie but i felt so ackward.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Hey girl, you can add me, I definitely know how that is.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2011