Hair loss

So mom's how many of you lose hair. I mean my tub strainer is always full after 1 shower and I find hair everywhere in my home.

What can I do?

Amanda11810

Asked by Amanda11810 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Health

• Make sure to take multi vitamins and brush your hair everynight with a natural bristle brush. It is normal to loose about 100 hairs a day. Sounds wierd, but true. Avoid weight loss supplements. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I do :( It is because my thyroid has been to go wacky, though. It is driving me nutso, especially because docs are saying that they cannot treat the thyroid condition yet . . we have to wait until it gets worse.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I was going to say get your thyroid checked if it is really an obscene amount of hair.

ImaginationMama - I am sorry you have to wait until it gets worse, which makes no sense to me (I used to have Graves' Disease, and now I am hypoactive, so I have been through it all). I hope they are checking your bloodwork monthly.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i continued taking my pre-natal vitamin after having my 2nd kid and i didn't have the hairloss i experienced after the first one.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Thx. I have the beginnings of hashimotos thyroiditis. My antibodies are off, but my TSH is still "within range". I still have all of the thyroid symptoms, though. So, they check once every 6 months to see if I have exited the range yet.

I am sorry you have to deal with the up and down, too. I wish there was a way to just heal the thyroid!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• depends on how much you are losing.

if you have thin hair, you shouldn't be loosing more than 50 strands a day.. if you have thick hair, you can loose up to 100 and that's completely normal..

your hair goes through 3 stages of growth.. anagen, catagen, and telegen.. telegen is well it falls out, don't worry it grows back ,lol.

HOWEVER if you are loosing more than that, you should seek a doctor.. there could be a number of reasons for hair loss like that.. from being anemic, to hormonal changes, to thyroid issues, to having alopecia (hair loss, could be alopecia androgenic (SP?), which is genetic, typically seen in men, but can be seen in women as well, but there are other forms of alopecia as well).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• maybe your shampoo's chemical content is too strong. maybe use a milder shampoo. i usually use my baby's shampoo and just use conditioner. another is vit. E will support the nutrients you needed for your hair.
    dlovelymomma

Answer by dlovelymomma at 10:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011