Do I want to move to the country?

I am thinking of moving to the country. I am currently living in Toronto (population 2.5 million) and while there are a lot of things going for Toronto such as public transit, and huge library system, festivals every weekend in the summer ect, the cost of living is huge. for a basic 2 apartment bedroom I am looking at about $1200 a month.
If I moved to the country I could get 4 bedroom house for $600-$700 a month, that would be with at least 50 acres of land. I know I would be giving up a lot as far as what there is to do in the city, but we wouldn't be broke all the time like we are here in the city. I have no idea what to do.
What are some of the pluses to moving to the country that I haven't thought of? Part of me just wants to pack up and go. But a big part is scared that I am going to hate it.

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 9:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• you could lease a place in the country for a year and see how you like it. then if you want to move back to the city it's nothing lost. if you like it then you could buy a place in the country.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I live in TN where theres a lot of country and I LOVE IT!!! Its wonderful to have your own space. And with land brings a whole new list of this to do. My kids LOVE having space to run and ride bikes, and DH cant wait til theyre big enough for 4 wheelers, etc. Plus, you can build bonfires and such in your own yard (check city ordinances, even in the country) and roast marshmellows. I'd take country over city ANY DAY!!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 9:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I moved from the East Coast to the Mid West...

I absolutely HATED it...

What ever the city has to offer the country did not... The country life is beautiful, don't get me wrong...

but it did not for me have what I was so used to having...

I cried weekly for 2 1/2 years and even got divorced over all of it...

But I am now back at the East Coast, paying way too much money for anything..

But you are where you come from..

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I LOVED raising my kids in the country! There is a LOT you can do there, that can't be done in the city. But if you don't like dirt, or animals, or outdoor sports, or spending quiet evenings at home with your family, then the country is not for you.
    My kids raised animals on our 26 acres. We had lots of sheep, 7 llamas, 2 beef steers we butchered, 1 dairy cow we milked by hand, 13 dogs (12 sled dogs we ran, and 1 sheep dog), a fat cat and some pet fish. We had a big garden, and we canned and froze most of our own food. My kids hiked in the woods, learned to pitch a tent, build a campfire, roast marshmallows, run a sled dog team, read a compass and much more. I loved that I could open my door and yell at them and no neighbors could complain! I loved that they learned to play with each other, because there were no neighbors. I loved the close family life. My kids are grown, and they still keep in touch with each other.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• come across the boarder to NY, lol. houses and apartments are WAY cheaper on this side in western ny. lol.
    I live in the country in western ny in niagara county.. and i love living here
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I live in the suburbs,living isnt really really high but If I moved down to the lower county it would be alot cheaper. maybe moving on the outskirts so the commute wouldnt be so bad?
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would love to move to the country!
    JHanc968

Answer by JHanc968 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Not as much traffic, living in a more relaxing place
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I love the country.... why don't you take a mini vacation to the area you are lookibg at to get a feel for it?
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I had lived in town all my life and then moved to the country and love it, but I am not the kinda person who needs to be less than 10 minutes away from every possible convenience. I may have to drive farther to get to things but its so worth it. I love how quiet it is here when we were in town there were people everywhere all the time. The only thing my husband and I miss is being able to get pizza delivery lol

DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 8:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2011