How can i potty train my son?

He drinks plenty of water, but he only says a few words. So i don't really know if he has to go or not.

Espio

Asked by Espio at 9:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how old is he?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• He is not ready to potty train until
    1) he wakes up dry after naps & in the morning regularly
    2) he can tell you he has to go potty or poop
    3) he can dress himself
    4) he could wipe himself, and wash his own hands
    Until he is ready, just wait. When he is ready, read Potty Training Boot Camp, as it should only take THREE DAYS. If it's taking longer, he's not ready. Put everything away and wait six months more.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• He will tell you when he's ready. Pushing him before he's ready will only cause you both stress and unneeded tension. Let him tell you when he's ready.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I bought both of my kids pottys when they were 2 years old, they had been following me into the bathroom since they could crawl, so they were excited to have their own. At first they just sat on it while I went, then I would let them sit on it with no diaper, when they went, I would tell them what a good job they had done. They each got new underwear, that they picked out, but didn't get to wear it until they went potty on their own. It may help to keep the potty close by and let them run around with no diaper, and as they get better, move the potty in the bathroom. It takes a while, but it will happen.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I disagree with your check list Lorelei. My daughter is 19 months, she cannot dress herself, or wipe after #2, only #1, and is not dry in morning, but we have been successfully potty trained for a week now. She does tell me occasionally she needs to pee, but it's up to me for now. I tell her every hour, Let's go pee! She follows direction really well, and usually has only 1 accident a day, and stays dry for naps, not overnight yet. She gets and M&M for reward.
    We went straight to the toilet, with the little seat that goes on top. I pee first, tell her what I'm doing then say your turn, and put her on the toilet. She loves to flush the toilet too. I have read for boys to train sitting first, then go to standing once they have mastered sitting. During the few days before her first successful potty that made it in the toilet, we went bare bottom all day (in the house of course) and she got an extra cup or two of drink .
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 11:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2011