Do you think diet drinks contribute to weight gain?

There has been a lot of information on the news that diet drinks can cause weight gain and/or obesity. There are trying to say that by drinking the diet drink that is sweet and contains artificial sweeteners makes you crave more sweets. What do you think about this?

3mom627

Asked by 3mom627 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• It is true. It has to do with people having a taste for sweet flavors, and the insulin release when your tongue detects sweet foods. When you have that insulin release, and then there's no sugar for the insulin to bind to, your blood sugar drops and you crave sugar to bind to that insulin. Not to mention that the artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners are very difficult for your body to process, and those toxins tend to be stored in fat cells, and actually makes it harder to shrink them. You're much better off drinking water, which helps flush those toxins and is the best way to hydrate your body. I don't drink a lot of beverages other than water; I have my small soy latte every morning, but that's it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I've heard it's true. I wouldn't doubt it. My dh knows someone who had gastric by-pass and her dr. told her to stay away from diet soda so as not to gain the weight back.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think they do. They are fine as a treat but some people simply can't stop drinking them. Like coffee, they can slow a system and add toxins instead of flushing them out like water does. Even juice in excess isn't good but at least there's some nutritional value there.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i think it's a bunch of bs. i lost alot of weight when i switched from 'regular' drinks to 'diet' and that was the only thing i changed in my diet at that time. usually people that drink diet drinks drink that instead of regular anyway and they're both sweet obviously
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Diet sodas contribute to weight gain and increased risk of diabetes. My athletic, healthy husband drank one diet coke a day for 21 years. He's diabetic now, even though there is no diabetes in his family, and he has no other health risks for this disease. There is a ton of research linking diet soda to diabetes, yet the "pros" still refute this. Guess the soda companies are paying them off.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think it's more complexed than that, a lot of people that drink diet drinks do so for a number of reasons.. some examples are:
    1: they are diabetic.. some diabetics take medication that can cause weight gain.
    2: they think they are okay because it's diet, however they don't work out or eat properly to make up for it (for instance, they'll go order a large frie and burger from mcdonalds, and get a large DIET).. so really it defeats the purpose.
    3: some diet drinks just mean fat free, not necessarily calorie free..
    etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• yes with less calories after your exersise and diet program to loss weight...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• No one item can cause obesiety or weight gain itself. It is everything that you consume that causes this, especially if you're eating in excess. However, with that said that doesn't negate the fact that Diet Sodas are horrible for you. Aspertain (Artificial sugar) is about the worst product you can put into your body. When you consume anything artificial it can have a negative effect on your body, as it isn't something your body would naturally consume. It's harder to digest, it's harder to absorb, and it takes a toll on your body. I would agree that drinking soda for some people, diet or otherwise, does encourage unhealthy eating.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• They do, without a doubt.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 10:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2011