How can I help my eight month old be more independent?

My child is only 8 months but I feel as though she is way too clingy and just wont play on her own and always wants me in the same room with her or even on my lap constantly... its not cute anymore when im trying to cook or clean!!!

journeyzmom

Asked by journeyzmom at 10:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• See what you can do to get her to "help" you cook and clean. Put her in her high chair with a pan and a spoon when you cooking. Let her stir it...maybe even put some cereal in it or something she can "cook".
    Same with cleaning, she's a bit young still, but give her a clean wash cloth to help clean with. And, my son has a toy vacumn he LOVES to help mama vacumn.

And, in the next couple months, when she gets walking, and running, you wont have a problem with the clinging as much as the running away!! LOL I know its frustrating... I KNOW... but try to remember it passes so very quickly and enjoy as much as you can.
    Good luck!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 10:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You may have a high-needs child. You can read more about that here:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fussy-baby/high-need-baby/12-features-high-need-baby
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• wow that dr sears really knows wat he is talking about ... funny didnt think she might be classified as a high need child... oh well i better count my blessing lol thanks
    journeyzmom

Comment by journeyzmom (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Well, I am a mom to a high-needs/spirited child, so I try to pass that info along. It helps you see things in a different light if she is :)
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Infants are by definition dependent... even without high needs. I'd classify her as quite normal. You help her by continuing to feed her so she keeps growing. **grin** Be warned... when they do become independent they get this stubborn streak that involves arguing with EVERY word you say!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2011