When is it too early?

when would you say it is too early to feed your baby actual foods, me and my mom had an argument on when my dd could start eating solid foods, she's 7months old. Do you think it'd far too early?

kaysmomma121110

Asked by kaysmomma121110 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most feel baby food and rice cereal is fine around 6 months. At that age my kids were eating baby food, around 9-10 months I started adding a little bit of table "soft" foods.. By a year, they ate what we did. Of course it was easy things..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i don't care if i'm going to get alot of crap for saying this or not, but 3 or 4 months (whenever they have good head control) for rice cereal and by 6 months solids. i did alot of research about it in college (it was my topic for immunology) and all of the research proves that delaying the introduction to solids increases the chance for food allergies. in countries and cultures where the babies are fed off of the mother's plate food allergies are basically non-existant. many of these countries also use peanuts as a main source of protien. there is no evidence to support delaying solids. the studies that suggest otherwise have been disproven and it has since been shown that food allergies can be overcome by repeated exposure to that specific food. in my (informed) opinion 7 months is perfectly fine for solid foods. by 7 months old my children were off the baby food and eating 'table food' (cut up, etc.)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Oh come now princess... I won't flog you :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You never need baby purees. It's too early if they need those.

Google "baby led solids" for feeding ideas.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I've always let my baby tell me when they were ready. There comes a point when they watch you eat and want what you're eating. I do let them grab what they want of my food sometimes too. You just have to make sure that the foods start out at a soft consistency and don't give them things they can choke on. I usually started with things like melon, strawberries, potatoes, cucumbers and bread.

Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 1:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm with gdiamante on this one. I absolutely agree.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 4:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I went straight to soft table foods with my DS at 6 monhs. With DD2 I will let her tell me when she's ready to start eating solids. We don't do purees.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Well see, as I am a young mom I was just going by what WIC told me to do. But the other day I wanted to try giving my DD a tiny piece of jello or a small orange or something as she's 7months old. & my mother freaked out and said I was going to mess up her digestive system by giving her foods too early. I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion, thank you all so much.
    kaysmomma121110

Comment by kaysmomma121110 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would say it might be a little early. have you done baby food yet? I would say that you want to start with that before solids. Good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:37 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• she eats baby food, and has been since a little before 6 months
    kaysmomma121110

Comment by kaysmomma121110 (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011