My grandson will Not go #2 in the potty! HELP!!!

My grandson does a pretty good job on the potty except that he will not go #2. I sometimes leave his pull up off, knowing that he will go to the potty if he needs it, however, when it comes to #2 he holds it until he gets his pull up on and then when I least expect it, he goes in his pull up. Frustrated. Any suggestions out there..... please!

madmavdev

Asked by madmavdev at 10:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here's the thing. You need to find out if it's that he can't [has some kind of an aversion to it or maybe he can't get used to pooping in that position?] or if his problem is that he WON'T. As in, is it an issue of will?
    We just went through this with my DD who just turned three. She is a CHAMP at peeing on the potty. She'll even take herself. She's been doing it since January. The problem was, she wouldn't poop. We tried everything. I do mean we tried it ALL. One day after fussing at her for pooping her panties, I told her she needed to POOP ON THE POTTY! she squared off with me and said 'I don't want to go poop on the potty.'
    Ok. Fine. You don't want to.
    We put her back into diapers. It's been a month and guess who's pooping on the potty?
    I had to take the fight out of it for her. When she realised that I wasn't going to fight with her about it anymore, she gave up. It was a battle of wills and WE WON.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 4:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It will happen. That was the last one for my girls. We had the potty fairy come. The fairy left small wrapped presents in the basket and every time they pooped in the potty they got a present. The potty fairy came three times then had to go help another little girl or boy. The first poop is tough. I even tried to catch mid poop or poop the poop after to they could get the first prize. There would be about 8-10 gifts in each basket. Good luck!
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You say he IS ready. Apparently not, or he would be doing it in the potty. In your mind, he seems ready. But, for some reason, he doesn't seem to think so. Boys take a little longer than girls, sometimes. And, in all honesty, you can't make ANY child poop in the potty when you want them to. He will come around in his own time. I know how frustrating it is. I have twin boys. I thought it would take forever. But, then, one day, it just clicked. Have you tried making him empty out the pull-up into the potty? If he realizes he will have to help clean it up, he might consider doing it in the potty. Otherwise, patience is a virtue when it comes to potty training.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• my son was the same way. he will go when he is ready its not something you can force. maybe reward him when he uses the potty
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• The problem is, he is ready. He will come tell me he's sorry and even ask me to change him. He knows, he supposed to use the potty, but just WILL NOT DO IT. I've tried the present thing. I've bought things he likes and I put them where he can see them. I let him know that when he goes #2 in the potty he can have what I've gotten him. He then just dismisses it.
    However, thanks for your response
    madmavdev

Comment by madmavdev (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Are you raising your granddson? If not is it just at your house that he will not go #2 or is it at his house also. My son wouldn't go #2 anywhere but at home. He would just hold it if he was at a grandparents house until he was home. He did that until he was about 3 or 4. Although he did grow out of it I know people my dh included who WILL NOT go #2 anywhere but at home. Maybe that'show he is. If it becomes a problem consult the ped, he/she may have suggestions. Good Luck.
    s.adams83

Answer by s.adams83 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• my daughter and grandson live with me, so this is home. It is just frustrating because he knows he's supposed to go in the potty. As soon as he goes, he lets me know and even tells me he's sorry (hard to be upset when he's so sweet with his "I'm sorry Grandma". He goes #1 just fine, so that's good.
    Thanks for your help
    madmavdev

Comment by madmavdev (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• He isn't ready yet.
    Not *really* and fully.
    Is he really a toddler (this is the 1-2 years section)?
    * That is very young still.

Usually the more effective route is to stop talking about it and having expectations.
    Let him do as he needs...
    In (HIS) time he will grow out of this.

Good luck & good job, gramma!
    HUGS!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• If he's strong willed - I'd look into it.
    ourbabykins

• Thanks ourbabykins, that is probably the issue here. He is going to be 3 in August and I know, he knows better. I had been thinking it was a matter of control with him. After reading your comment, I'm feeling stronger about that.
    Thanks
    madmavdev

Comment by madmavdev (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2011