Can I manage Nursing School, a C Section, and a Newborn?

I am scheduled to have a C Section on September 2nd with my third baby. By then I will be a month into nursing school and will only be able to miss school the days im in the hospital and resume school as soon as I come home. Iam scared I won't be able to handle school on top of the healing of my section and a newborn baby but I really don't want to get behind. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Luckily you're an experienced mother. This should be a breeze for you!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't attempt it especially if you are having a c/s.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Everyone heals differently from a C-section. And you shouldn't be able to go back to school for 8 weeks, just as if you worked. You need to heal.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would plan meals ahead and hopefully maybe you are friends with your classmates and maybe they can really help you get through what was missed ect. really get in touch with the professors and if you do not understand something. utilize the library online if they have access. read, read and read. maybe even try to get a head start to get ahead before you go in to have the baby. i say it might be tough for the first couple of months but you should be fine. just make a plan of everything including spending time with your children that is very important. good luck!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would take a session off. Your body needs to heal properly.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I know kinda how you feel. I am due July 19th and I have a 4 year old to take care of too and I'm a full time college student. The school I go to doesnt do like summer breaks or anything. I only get time off for holidays. I'm trying to prepare ahead of time and get everything in place. Talk to your teachers and see if you can get ahead or at least get a list of the reading you'll need to have done around the time baby is here and get ahead that way. Try to get friends and family to help out as much as possible for the first few weeks after baby is born too if you can. How old are your other kids? Get them to help out some too with things that arent to difficult depending on their ages.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would say that (for me) the obvious would be to avoid the cesarean...
    Is this possible?

There are a lot of things you can do to avoid one.
    There are a lot of things you can to prepare, too.
    Enlisting extra help, scheduling when it's better, around other things.
    Getting more help from instructors & classmates (notes, audio, video), or online possibilities.
    You might also consider waiting one term before getting into it...

More suggestions available...
    Would you like to have a vaginal delivery?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My other two kids are 7 and 4 so my 7 years old will be starting 2nd grade and be at school a lot of the time. I can't have a vaginal delivery due to a number of complications of my last pregnancy. I was actually told that I would never be able to get pregnant again so this pregnancy is a complete surprise. Though I am very happy about it anyways. I appreciate all the advise from everyone. My husband is a lot of help so thank God I have him here with me. I am planning on going to talk to my teachers tomorrow and see what they think as well. Again, thanks to everyone!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• There are some things you can do to prepare & plan for a smoother planned cesarean, one thing at a time, but some of this info might be helpful too.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You can conquer anything you set your mind to!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 12:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2011