How soon is to soon to get married?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 and a half months. I have know him for over a year. He is everything and more that I want in a man and a father for my kids. We have talked about getting married and we plan on a late summer wedding. He is 18 years older than me and a single dad. the only hiderance i can see is his teenage daughter. She is 16 and a friend of mine but she doesnt want us together.....I just hope I m not rushing into this cuz i finally found a good one and want to keep him. We are not intimate. My beliefs tell me to not be intimate till marriage. He has been very understanding of it all :)

Alina456

Asked by Alina456 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• 2 1/2 Months...

I would not be happy either if I was his daughter..

You can not possibly know a person in that little time....

There are many, many things that you still need to learn and see before I would put a ring on my finger...

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i would say give it longer to let his daughter get more used to the idea of you two being together. it is a big adjustment for her too....you have to take all of the kids into consideration.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I knew my first husband, and was best friends with him, for about ten years then dated for just three months, got engaged, and was married a year later....and seperated 9 months later. It was a big mistake.
    My DH now and I dated for 2 1/2 years and then got married. He's also older than I am and has grown daughters, just a few years younger than me. And YES his girls have been a big problem in our relationship. But if HE is chosing you, then she needs to respect HIM enough to behave herself, and show you respect...even if she doesnt "accept" you.

I dont think theres a set time frame. I know people who dated for years, got married, and divorce. And, I know people who dated for 2 weeks before getting married. They were married over 50 years, then passed on together. It depends on the couple, and the willingness on BOTH SIDES to love, respect, and hold true to eachother...even through the toughest of tough time.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 11:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i would say dating at least two years before talkng about marriage.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I am not knocking you so please don't take it that way.. From your profile you have 3 kids and a one month old.. You have been with him for 2.5 months and talking about marriage.. You really do need to slow things down, concentrate on finishing school and doing the best you can for your children.. If marriage is in the future so be it but no need to rush things with so many little ones depending on you KWIM..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If in time you think you might loose him is he really yours..... marriage wont keep him around if he is not meant to stay... work on the relationship with his kid first... show her she maters to. spend time planning your wedding... don't just wake up one day and get married you'll regret it.
    Mommy_Aiken

Answer by Mommy_Aiken at 11:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• he's 18 yrs older, you've been dating for 2.5. months.
    Dare I ask Does he have money?
    What do you really want from him?
    Ya, his 16 yr old is pissed. DUH
    you have a small baby.
    I'm sorry buy you need to learn to take care of yourself and your children before getting involved with anyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• just enjoy life together theres no set time how long couples should date before marriage.. look at me im 25 years old been dating my boyfriend since 2004.. were not in any rush to get married..and we have a little boy so were just happy being us.. no pressure
    MOMMY2BE0786

Answer by MOMMY2BE0786 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Sometimes i feel 2 people know if they are ment to be. I know his daughter very well and we have had a great friendship up until now.
    Alina456

Comment by Alina456 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• 2.5 months would be too soon. Why the race to the altar though? You say you want to keep him but marriage won't make a man stay...take your time, if it's mean to be it will be.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2011