How can I increase my breast milk supply?

I have a one month old and I could not get him to latch on so I've been pumping and bottle feeding. At first I has plenty of milk, I could get six ounces out of one breast and maybe 2 ounces out of the other during one pumping session. Now I'm only producing 4 ounces out of one and 2 ounces out of the other. What can I do to increase my milk supply? I was only giving my son breast milk but due to my decrease I've been having to mix my breast milk with formula. Please help, thanks in advance!!!!

teshia6288

Asked by teshia6288 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink lots of water.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Oatmeal
    Pump every 2 hours.
    Fenugreek- herb supplement

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Drink lots of water and nurse often for a few days. Also you may not get as much when you pump as when you nurse.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Your pump output is still above normal. normal is two ounces max, and baby's total daily need is 24 ounces to 30 ounces.

Increase pumping frequency; nothing will help without that. Every two hours without fail; for now that's at night too. You can stretch to three at night if you're making that 24-30 ounces per day. If you're not, then it must be every two hours.

64 ounces water without fail

3000 mg fenugreek daily without fail... unless you're diabetic.

It's also not too late to get him to latch. NEVER too late for that.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• sleep
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• When you pump, you are relying on your body to over produce milk. What you are able to express with a pump is actually above a normal supply. That is why so many women have a hard time pumping with a pump when they are nursing regularly too...they don't have an over supply.

I would try nursing from the breast again rather than pumping. Have you been to a lactation consultant? They are FANTASTIC for offering new ideas or tools that will help you and your baby learn to work together to nurse. She would be able to watch you try and see what is going wrong. Also, now that your baby is a little older and stronger, it may be an easier process than it was an an infant.

Until then, maybe try to nurse before each feeding while your baby is hungry.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Mother's milk tea and blessed thistle capsules. Also, feed often, or pump. Remember that you're looking for wet/dirty diapers to make sure baby is getting enough. GL!
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 4:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2011