Do you think it's inappropriate to not dress in black at a funeral?

I think it is. I went to a funeral today and I saw so many people in jeans, flip flops, wife beaters, even hats. What happened to a certain amount of respect at funerals? It's not "old school" to wear black, it's respectful. I can understand(in a way) about kids not wearing all black but adults? They should really know better.

What do you think?

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• It depends on the crowd. While I think it is extremely disrespectful to show up in jeans/yoga pants/flip flops/baseball caps/etc., I have also never been to a funeral where all (or even most of) the crowd wore black. I think the important thing is to dress up respectfully without trying to look sexy or ready for a night out.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 10:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I, personally, do wear a dark color for funerals. But, in all honesty, it's not about what everyone is wearing. It's about the saying goodbye to the deceased. I really don't care what someone is wearing. It is the furthest thing from my mind at a time like that. My grandpa died last Feb. There were all kinds of colors, styles and the lack thereof. My grandpa would not have minded a bit. He would have just been pleased to know so many people came to say goodbye. I say dress in what makes you feel comfortable & let others do the same. Even if it's not what you would wear.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Heck NO! When my mom passed away last year, we all wore the most casual clothes we could find. It wasn't meant for disrespect, it was for respect because that is what she would have wanted! She was all about being comfortable in public or anywhere instead of dressing up to try to impress others. If we had all worn black at her funeral, she would have struck us by lightening. I think it depends on the situation.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Even though I am older, personally, I don't think it matters what you wear. You are there to show your love and support. The clothes on your back shouldn't matter. I don't wear black to funerals. I dress up, but not in all black.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Many funerals I went to working in hospice there were families dressed very casually. Often times it is a matter of finances and culture. If you did not have the money for an expensive suit....you do the best you can. Culturally withing some families, as long as you show up what you wear is just not as important. If some person wears jeans to my funeral it doesn't matter. I just hope they have a damn good funny story to share about my life,
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• From my experience at african american funerals we dont call them funerals we call them "home goings." so even though it is a sad time we chose to rejoice that our people are going to a btterplace so instead of wearing black we wear color to celebrate. BUT with that said we still dress up. no jeans or casual clothes. this doesnt go for all black funerals either. some are more traditional and when it is a younger person (teenager) their friends do usually wear more casual clothing,
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 11:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• No I don't think black is the only color for funerals, I never wear black, I am just not a black wearing person and the person who passed who knew me also knows this.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I don't agree that everyone should be dressed in black, but I don't think it should be as casual as jeans and a t-shirt. My aunt's funeral was a couple weeks ago and I wore white dress pants and a purple top. There were lots of men in khakis and button down shirts with ties. I don't think it is necessary that mourners cloak themselves in black, but I do think that a somewhat dressy outfit is appropriate and respectful.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It is about showing support for the family at loss, not what you are wearing. I think for wedding or funeral all white would be inconsiderate, otherwise whatever. For the majority of gatherings, things have changed. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• At all the funerals i have been to...6 in the past year, it was all casual.

and that is how the people they were for would have wanted it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2011