Is a 5yr old too young to have chores?

I don't remember doing so when i was growing up but i had a stay at home mom. I make her pick up her mess, help out a little around the house etc (easy stuff) then i wonder if im not letting her just be a kid.....

mamaslearning

Asked by mamaslearning at 11:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it's a great opportunity to start teaching responsibility, but I wouldn't expect everything to be done perfectly. lol. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• No, they need to clean to clean up after themselves. They should what to help mommy out!
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You are teaching her to be responsible, that's being a good parent in my book.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• agreed! my son is 3 & i make him clean his toys up. & put them in the toys box
    jennifer_oakley

Answer by jennifer_oakley at 11:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• my 4 year old does some smaller things around the house .like pick up toys and things like that .. just needs to be age appropriate .
    SnowWhieQueen

Answer by SnowWhieQueen at 11:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• All my boys have had to do chores.

1- it teaches responsibilty

2- it teaches them that they too are part of a family and can contribute to a working dynamic

3- it's an oppurtunity to get positive feedback

4- whatever manner you use to reward them, be it an allowance, or stars on a chart, or a chance to buy something when they go to a store, it is the beginning of teaching them that in life they will be expected to do a job and get paid for it.

when children have no responsibilty growing up, they do not grow up to be productive citizens in their community.

my ex husband was used between his grandparents and his parents. both sides bought his love. when he grew up he didn't have to work for anything. then his grandparents died and he moved in with his parents. his mother did his laundry and cooked his meals..

cont
    I_luv_Vera

Answer by I_luv_Vera at 11:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• when I married my ex he thought i was going to do everything for him while he sat on his ass. he also thought my parents were going to support him.

Last time we heard he was on his 4th wife.
    I_luv_Vera

Answer by I_luv_Vera at 11:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Nope. My 4 year old is expected to keep her books on her bookshelf, her toys in her closet, and her dirty clothes in the laundry. She's not perfect about it, but she does her best and I don't see anything wrong with chores. Besides, she LOVES helping do EVERYTHING.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Stay at home mom or not, children need responsibilities that are age appropriate in order to learn how to be a responsible adult later on. You are doing just fine.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have 5 kids and they all start helping around the time they turn 2 and by 3 they have set chores that they do themselves. My 5yo does all the same chores as my older 3 kids (8, 9 and 11) I just don't expect her to do them as well. I do expect her to try to do them as well as she can and not half-assed. She cleans up any mess she makes in any room (which includes picking up her toys, dirty clothes, dirty dishes in the sink, spills she makes, messes while making sandwiches, etc). She also unloads the dishwasher when I ask, folds and puts away her own clean clothes, helps take out the trash, carries in groceries, helps in the yard, helps with her baby brother and takes her turn cleaning the kids' bathroom (with baby wipes). Amazingly she still has plenty of time to just be a kid. I'm their mother, not their maid and I refuse to clean up messes they make.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2011