Potty Training - Almost there, need a suggestion

My third child, boy age 3.5, is MORE than ready to be potty trained. I have waited until summer, so the mess was less. He has done great, the only reason for an accident is waiting too long or pure stubbornness, as he demands a diaper to pee in, but that hasn't happened in days. That being said, we have yet to do the doo in the potty. He has before, months ago, but refuses now. He is usually an early AM doo'er, so he would go in his overnight diaper. But today, he didn't have to go until after dinner and he just held it. After 30 minutes, I gave in and put a pulll-up on him and away he went. My other two boys, could not have cared less, pee or poo, did not matter, they just did them both right away. Any suggestions for getting him to "let go"? Any trade secrets I don't know about??? He is a very stubborn, smart, manipulative little guy. and he has my number on speed dial.

jillie_blueeyes

Asked by jillie_blueeyes at 11:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• boys typically take longer.....often when its a comfort thing like going in diaper or pullup it takes longer. all I can say is patience my oldest which is a boy took the longest
    serenityspeaks

Answer by serenityspeaks at 12:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• my son was the samer way..i used to tell DS that he potty was hungry and he needed to feed it poopoo..i would make the seat talk to him saying feed me. Also i knew his spot where he would like to go in and he usually wanted to be alone..i would leave a diaper on him untill i saw that he was getting ready to go to his spot alone..the me and hubby (takes a team effort) would just grab him rip off his diaper and sit him on the potty and not let him up untill he went. the we would praise him and jump around like we were having a party when he finally did go. this takes good timing and it took us a while to get it tust right.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 12:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• my son is the same way just stay consistent and take him every hour and ask him if he has to go poopy and don't rush him my son sometimes sits there for 10 minutes before going
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2011