I just had to turn down a co-worker on her request to borrow $ . . . . . .

I hated being put in that position in the first place.

Here's the scenario . . . . . . .

I just started working at this job about 4 mos. ago. We all make the same amt. of $. Granted, I'm married, so we have 2 incomes in my family. My co-worker is single (divorced) and she and I are the same age. (48)

She text me earlier today asking to borrow $200 to help cover her rent for this month. I HATE being put in this situation.

#1 reason for telling her "no" - if she defaulted on the loan, it would not be a good thing and would totally ruin our working relationship/friendship.

#2 - loaning ppl $ makes it easier for them to come to you repeat times in the future.

#3 - when ppl only have themselves to rely on, then they budget better in the future for important bills such as rent & food, transportation to & from work.

Any others to add? I feel badly, but I didn't want to open up a can of worms that I would regret later, had I said, "yes".

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• Go watch Judge Judy and know you made the right decision to not do it. Seriously.
    Anonymous

• You should only loan people the money when you can afford to lose it or to give it as a gift.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Great Job! I can not think of anything else WHY is it ok to lend money....you took the words right out of my mouth.

For whatever reason she will get over it and know better than to ask again...lol GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have been in a serious bind twice before. I borrowed $50 from my coworker and paid her cash on payday and a few months ago borrowed $500 and gave her a postdated check for the first of the following month. On the first I offered to either have her cash the check or I would run to the bank at lunch and get her cash. So not all people are out to screw others and I believe there are ways to prevent getting screwed like collateral. Like once my sister wanted to borrow $20, I made her give me 10 of her dvds. She never gave me the money and I kept the movies.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Great advice so far, ladies! It's always great to have validation that you "did the right thing". This is just one less thing in my life that I didn't want to have to deal with, had she not come up w/the $ on time. Who wants to hound someone for $ THEY owe YOU? NOT ME!

I do give to those in need occasionally and I do like this person that asked for the loan, BUT she buys things for herself that even I don't buy for myself. That is her prerogative, she earns it but, it doesn't sit well with me when she wants to borrow $ to cover something as important as RENT!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• emmyandlisa - while each situation is unique, it worked out in your case, for both of you. That's great! Loaning $ is always a risk and the loaner must make a decision on whether that risk is worth it to them. I wasn't willing to take that risk. Several factors, such as the ones I've mentioned were involved.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• $200 IS A LOT TO ASK FROM A FRIEND. IF YOU WANT TO HELP HER TELL HER NOT TO SHOP FOR FOOD AND YOU WILL TAKE HER TO THE GROCERY, WATCH HER AS SHE PICKS ITEMS OUT AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE REALLY PAYING FOR.  I'M SORRY IF YOU GIVE HER $200 WHO SAYS SHE IS REALLY PAYING RENT?

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 12:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• #4 They like to pay you back when they feel like it. When you ask them for a payment they act like you bothering them. I learned the hard way and I said never again. She better go sell some tail if next time. It just put a sour taste in my mouth so from now on it's NO to everything. Now she ask other people.
    jaylyn02

Answer by jaylyn02 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Your #4 is a good point also, jaylyn. Thank goodness there won't be that chance. I want to remain on good terms w/this person, so I think saying "no" will ensure that. To me, not paying a debt is theft and I can't stand a thief. I don't see her as that, but w/o loaning her the $, it will keep her honest w/me. She works for 2 wealthy employers, so if need be, she can try to get an advance on her pay. That would be her best bet.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2011