Taking pride in your kids!

OMG! This is driving me nuts! It does not take much money to be clean or dressed decently. First, let me say I grew up in a big family without a lot of money...I grew up in outfits from goodwill or garage sales...but we were clean, our clothes were decent, matched, and were clean, and when we went to school our hair was fixed and our teeth were brushed. I see kids all the time where the parents just must not care at all! Anybody else notice it and feel sorry for these kids?! I would hope that if I was doing this to my daughter one of my family members would say "Kara, listen, you've got to pay more attention to your daughter's hygiene and appearance". It has serious social consequences once they hit school!!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• Let me introduce my SS's BM. You can tell by how he looks at school who's house he was at that morning. He wears his clothes backwards, has milk on his face, his hair is never combed, his teeth are never brushed, and his homework is never done. Last year, they did two pictures at school. The first fell on a day that he had been at home that morning, the second he had been at his mom's. You can tell the difference. I sent a nice white power rangers shirt and in the picture there is what looks like soda stained on the front. His hair is flying off in every direction, he has red kool aid on his face, and his shoes weren't tied. He was in kindergarten so they did the pictures like 10-15 minutes after the class started.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i remember this girl where i used to live had a 2 year old son, he was ALWAYS dirty, she never bathed him, never brushed his hair or teeth, it was the saddest thing
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• ive so notice
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i ALWAYS have Summer (my daughter) clean and dressed,
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 5:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• There is this little boy at my son's school who always has on the dingiest clothes. I know it's not cheap to raise children but you do what you have to do even if it's second hand. What bothers me even more is when the mothers are dressed to the nines ( I think that's the right phrase) and the children are filthy.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 5:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Seriously! It is just too bad kids get treated like they're not worth the effort. You can buy CUTE things at garage sales and goodwill for a couple dollars...it takes a little time to sort through things, but aren't kids worth that! I buy ahead for my daughter by shopping clearances at the end of seasons (I buy for the next year) and I'll get NEW outfits for under $5 when all the sun dresses, shorts, t-shirts and stuff are marked down to a couple bucks. I understand that kids do their worst to clothes and aren't careful about getting dirty or anything, but when you're SENT to school filthy and haven't had a hair cut in months or seen a bath in days, that IS NOT the child's fault, but it is the child that pays for it! Sorry for my rant, but I saw several particularly horrible cases today.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2008