How can I help my 10 month old cope with seperation anxiety?

My 10 month old has seperation anxiety, and it came on all of a sudden, the thing is, im never away from her but one day out of the weekend, she stay with her grandma, how can i help her cope with her seperation anxiety, what can i do?

MommyBre21

Asked by MommyBre21 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just give her a few minutes at a time with you out of her sight.. try nap time or bed time, or put her in a bouncy or swing and go to the other side of the house for a bit...every baby goes through it and it gets better as long as the parent doesn't constantly hold and coddle the baby
    mikailas_mom

Answer by mikailas_mom at 12:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Thanks! I put her in her pack n play with some toys, with her favorite movie over the hedge playing while im cleaning and stuff, i just dont understand how she can be fine one week and then be so attached to me the next, its kinda worrying me that something might have happened at her grandmas that maybe i wasnt told about.
    MommyBre21

Comment by MommyBre21 (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Something could have happened. This could also be a very normal milestone. The first round of separation anxiety happens at around 6 months old. The next at around 12-18 months.

My daughter had it worse than my son, but what really helped both of them was to get their attention, tell them I'm going into X room, keep talking to them as I go into X room, and continue to talk while I'm in X room. I think it's 8 months old that babies start getting the concept of object permanence. By talking they still hear your voice so you don't just seem to disappear on them.

See if you can borrow What to Expect the First Year, or go to a book store and look through the 10-11 months of age section. You'd be about done with the book, but it's a GREAT reference for the "WHY the HECK is my baby doing THIS???!??!" questions. At least it was for me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Oh, 1) don't quote me on those ages, because 2) my kids are now 4 and 7. My daughter is still a LOT more clingy than her brother, but she's getting better every day.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Thank you RoseHawk! Im definately going to get that book!
    MommyBre21

Comment by MommyBre21 (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Sorry again. Just googled to check my numbers/facts and found this site: http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/feelings/sep_anxiety.html#
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Thanks!!
    MommyBre21

Comment by MommyBre21 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Can she come with you that one day?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2011