Baby still gets burned even with sunblock??

Curious if any other moms have experienced this...Even with sunblock my 1 1/2 (very fair skinned)baby girl is still getting red no matter how much sunscreen I put on..and i have tried various spf from 30 to 60!I dont want her burned but we also want to play outside ;(...help!!!

Dollhouse2011

Asked by Dollhouse2011 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have SPF 80+ for my DD (she has very fair skin, like me) I also use SPF 80+.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yes, get some better sun block. As your dr. what he/she recommends. Maybe find more shade? Your baby just might have sensitive skin. I'd also recommend putting it on more through out the time you are spending in the rays :) Good Luck! Oh sun block only stays good for like 3 months. Maybe its bad ? There isn't an expiration date, but thats what my communicable disease teacher taught me :) Good Luck!

loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My advice would be to put her in very thin and light, but long sleeved shirts and pants. Have you had her tested to see if she's allergic to the sun? I had a male friend in high school that was... no amount of sunscreen was enough to keep him from burning... he had to cover most his skin outside. Good luck :)
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 12:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I use 100 spf, and I apply it every 2 hours if we're in direct sun.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• thanks ladies :)Today I bought Neutrogena pure&free baby spf 60+...Idk,will look into the sun allergy though...and 80+..
    Dollhouse2011

Comment by Dollhouse2011 (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Put it on hourly just to ensure no burning! I use 50 for DH and DD.... dd doesn't burn but we have to apply it every hour to DH or he burns like there wasn't anything on! DD is fair skinned but got my skin where she doesn't burn and tans only... we take the extra precaution just in case and lather her up when we do DH.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My sons the same. I keep him covered w a hat or pants
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• my little guy tans no matter how much sunblock I put on him..just keep putting it on:)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• reapply and if she is in the water make sure its waterproof and i would not have her in the sun for long periods of time and if possible a shaddy area. wear a hat if possible. sunblocks is not the only protection you need from the sun to avoid being burned. protect her in other ways.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have even heard of special perscription sunblock for cases of very sensitive and easily burnt skin
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 5:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2011