A 6 yr old calling the grandma mom

everytime i have my 6yr old she tells me that her grandma lets her call her mom and when i take her back over there she calls her mom like its nothing how can i stop this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• i would seriously have a talk with the grandma, and tell her that she needs to tell ur 6 year old that your mom and she is grandma. i have a problem with my mother in law doing that.
    MommyBre21

Answer by MommyBre21 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i have told her but she told me "well if she feels comfortable calling me mom then im going to let her" and it just breaks my heart like she taking that away from me
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Ask the child what SHE'S comfortable with. I mean if you're not playing that role, it's not HER fault that she's confused.

But if your child is with you full time and you are the active parent in her world, then you need to set boundaries. I won't EVER let my children call another woman mommy but who they call Daddy is up to them and their father. Their father isn't in the picture so he has little to NO say in the issue so it's up to them who they hand that title of honor to. Just so happens to be my DH so I am ok with that. :)
    MoNKeyBoyz

Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 12:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• If she's taking it away from you, take it back.

Ask the child to call her "grandmom" and see if that helps.
    MoNKeyBoyz

• how often does your daughter go over to her house? seriously, a child does not come up with that on their own. someone planted that in her head, and my suspicions are on the person trying to replace you. i would start limiting gma's access to your child, and let your daughter know that it is NOT okay to call her mom.
    i'm a stepmom, and i would NEVER force my ss to call me mom if his own biomother wasn't okay with it. even if a woman adopts their grandchildren, they should never encourage them to call her mom. it's confusing for the child.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 12:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• MY CHILDREN WOULD CALL MY MOTHER MOM, BECAUSE WHEN THEY WERE WITH HER OFTEN TIMES MY SISTER WAS THERE AND WAS CAMMING OUR MOM, MOM. MY COUSIN'S CHILD DID THE SAME THING, IF GRANDMOTHER IS A MOM IS IT REALLY THAT HARMFUL? DOES YOUR 6 YEAR OLD UNDERSTAND THAT GRANDMA IS GRANDMA AND NOT MOM? TALK TO GRANDMA AND SEE IF SHE IS JUST NOT WANTING TO BE CALLED GRANDMA, IF THAT IS CASE ASK IF THERE IS ANOTHER NAME BESIDES MOM THAT SHE IS WILLING TO LET THE GRANDCHILDREN CALL HER. MY MIL IS NANA AND MY MOTHER REFUSES TO BE CALLED GRANNY BUT WILL ACCEPT GRANDMA.  WE SEEM TO BE MA'S AND PA'S ON MY SIDE AND NANA AND PAPA ON MY DH'S SIDE.

I'M SURE IT IS EXTRA HARD IF IT'S NOT YOUR MOTHER THEY ARE CALLING MOM, SO GOOD LUCK. 

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 1:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• my grandson calls me mom because he hears his mom do it. he call his mom mommy he knows the difference. sometimes he even calls me grandma i answer to both. keep reminding him of the differemce.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 1:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• my daughter did this for awhile. she is only 2 now. but she called my mom mama for awhile and i was mommy. and now she calls me mommy and her gigi. all her grandchildren do not call her grandma. for a 6yr old to call her mom i would wonder. maybe because you call her mom and she just feels like she wants to be like you. or maybe she has a different image of what a grandma is and she does not see her that way. maybe she is more active ect. you can ask her. as long as she doesn;t call you grandma its all good...lol
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2011