This question is Not Meant To Offend Any One..... Do you buy baby dolls for your little boys - girl dolls and if so at what age do you stop buying/encouraging your son to play with dolls?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have never bought my son dolls, unless GI joes and ninja turtles count.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I bought my ds a doll when he was little and we were expecting our dd. He "took care of the baby" and "was the daddy", just like we were taking care of the new baby sort of thing. There are 15 mos between our kids, and for yrs they would play house together, play with the dolls, etc - he was the daddy and she was the mommy. They also played with cars, legos, etc, together.

Over time, he just lost interest in it. He's now 18 and just graduated high school, has had a few serious gf's, is dating one now, very active in Scouts (earned his Eagle), played football his last 2 yrs in high school, played soccer for the past 12 yrs (starting varsity goalie for his school for 2 yrs), and has enlisted in the military. He is also very sweet and gentle and has a lot of patience for and with little kids, and is secure enough in his masculinity to show it :-)

I wouldn't stress about them playing with dolls :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• they say boys who play with dolls as kids grow up to be better dads then they ones who dont play with dolls.....
    babymama0000

Answer by babymama0000 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• One other thought - and I don't mean this mean or to bash anyone, but just think about how many posts on here alone that we see about women who complain because the fathers of their children don't spend time with their kids, aren't sensitive to the needs of their kids, don't know how to / aren't willing to / are afraid to help take care of them - whether they're babies or whether they're older kids....

Yet, when our sons are young and are wanting to learn / practice those nurturing actions (which is really what a lot of "play" that young children do is - copying adult roles - playing house, playing school, etc...) - we want to discourage them and tell them that it's wrong or not what boys do.....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i agree with that......
    babymama0000

Answer by babymama0000 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• k , sailorwifenmom, I just find it soooo weird.... It's my nephews. And my sister wanted girls. But I never looked at it as you explained it. I saw it as maybe she missed not having girls... Does that make any sence.... I guess im old fashion. But you make sence too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It does make sense that maybe she wanted girls. But as long as they are also allowed to play with things like trucks, etc - basically allowed to pick what they want to play with, then I wouldn't worry about it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• To each their own. My son is 7.5, and has played with dolls. If he really wanted one now I'd buy him one. Right now though, unless that doll looks like a pokemon, yu-gi-oh, or bakugan he's not all that interested.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• my friends baby daddy use to brake his sisters dolls and rip heads off light them on fire and what -not and he wants nothing to do with his kids..dont wanna touch them or hold them nor feed them but when they are acting up then he wants to ack all stricked and yell and what-not. then on the other hand my sisters hubby plays with his girls plays dolls with them plays house tea partys and loves caring for his kids and im sure he played with dolls as a kid concidering he has 4 sisters so i do agree and do think its ok let him play with dolls...and it wont make him grow up to be gay thats aq personal choice not from dolls.....just saying
    babymama0000

Answer by babymama0000 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Working with children, I often see children playing with toys.
    Any gender, any toys.
    A lot of boys choose to play with dolls, it is very common & normal.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2011