My daughter has her Facebook set so i am blocked from seeing some things

Like her religion and relationship status. She is 14 and I am very upset because she lied to me. When I casually asked her about why she changed her religion status she said "oh, I will just take it off" then blocked me from a bunch of stuff. She doesn't know that I know but basically a mutual friend told me. Would you do anything about it and if so, how do I bust her without busting the friend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would and if she's only 14 I'd have her password and I'd monitor EVERYTHING she did online.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would point out that, on the internet just as in real life, at 14, you are legally and morally responsible for what she does. That she is free to think whatever she wants (after all, you really can't control her thoughts or beliefs) - so her religious status is her choice - HOWEVER - you WILL have her password, and you WILL NOT be blocked from any content, or she will NOT have a facebook page.

After all, you might not be able to control her "cyber life", but you CAN control her access to it in "real life".... Take away the computer, make it so she can only use it in supervised spaces, etc.

Yes, she's going to be mad, but then again, most 14 yr old girls are mad at their mom at least some of the time (lol - that is, if the mom is doing her job right, that is...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• So you have her sit down WITH you, log in, and SHOW you her page! And if she doesn't do that, then her electronics go bye-bye for the rest of the summer!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Get one of those programs that records what she doing online. I forgot the name of the program but it's called like key logger or something? You can monitor her internet activity and she wouldn't even know the program is on the computer.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I second what sailorwifenmom said. Be her friend later, when she's grown. Right now you have to be Mom, even if that means she hates you.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I say delete the profile if you can't see it. You can contact FB yourself as the parent. Some things could be a matter of personal and moral safety. Which to me as a parent, is my business to protect.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The thing is, she is a really good kid. Doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't like boys too much, plays the violin....and we do see where she goes online. She doesn't do anything wrong except block me from seeing those 2 things. Its weird.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• IF YOU ARE WILLING TO BE OPEN TO ALLOW HER TO HAVE A DIFFERNT RELIGION FROM YOU TELL HER THAT, ALSO SHE IS OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND RESPECT, TRY EXPLAIN IT AS A FORM OF RESPECT, SHE IS ONLY 14 I'M SURE YOU OR ANOTHER ADULT PAYS FOR THE PHONE OR ONLINE CONNECTION SHE IS USING.  TELL HER THAT UNTIL SHE IS ODLER 16 OR 18, YOUR CHOICE AN ADULT WILL HAVE ALL OF HER PASSWORDS OR SHE WILL NOT ENJOY THE PRIVILAGES OF BEING A TEEN.  INTRODUCE HER TO MEAN MOM VS OPEN MINDED MOM, SHE MIGHT BE ABLE TO RESPECT AN OPEN MIND APPORCH. I'M NOT SAYING ALLOW HER TO DISRESPECT YOU OR HERSELF, BUT LET HER WATCH DATELINE AND SEE WHAY KIND OF OLDER MEN WANT TO DATE A 14 YEAR OLD, THEY ARE OFTEN NOT PRETTY OR HANDSOME.  YOU ARE THE PARENT, LET HER KNOW IT. 

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 1:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Having her online passwords isn't a matter of trust and being a good/bad kid, but one of security and safety. There are thousands of instances everyday of teens/kids getting propositioned by predators. Its a matter of protecting her from a real threat. Who cares what her relationship(well maybe a little) or her religious is. I would be more worried about who she is talking to online which could be anyone.

There was a few recent cases in my area, and I live in Montana a fairly rural area, 1. was a coach at a local school that was caught soliciting a 14yr old girl and attempting to meet her(also had child porn) 2. a Man convinced a Wyoming girl also 13/14 to take a greyhound(he bought her a ticket) up here and kept her locked up for a week till her father found her through some snooping online and talking with the guy saying he was one of her friends and wanted to party too.

You really need to monitor her online
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Time to be an ADULT and PARENT and make her unblock it so you are able to see. If she doesnt listen then cancel her account and dont allow her on the omputer
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2011