This question is Not Meant To Offend Any One..... Do you buy baby dolls for your little boys - girl dolls and if so at what age do you stop buying/encouraging your son to play with dolls?

My nephews age 1 and 4 have many, many girl baby dolls and play with them... Cabbage patches, baby alive, ect.... I on the other hand have all girls.... Huh.... Dont boys play with Tonka toys, trucks, ect.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We bought both of our boys dolls. They were "boy" dolls though. The oldest got a Beanie Baby doll that was named Boomer. He's 9 now and still has it on his bed (he loves Boomer). My younger son got a cheap doll at Wal-mart. It's supposedly a girl (according to the kids because it has long eye lashes) but it has a blue body. They each also have lots of stuffed animals and the youngest inherited his 5yo sister's Cabbage Patch Kid (Abby) along with some smaller dolls that he likes to chew on (he's only 11 months).
    They also have cars and trucks. The car collection that my older son just passed down was actually started by my oldest daughter. She collected them until she was about 3 and then outgrew them and handed them down to her brother.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I haven't bought my 17 month old a baby doll yet but my friends mom has one that she left behind and he cares it around everywhere with him, he even hugs and kisses the dolly like she was a real person. I don't think it is wrong to let a boy have a doll my nephew did when he was little and he grew out of it bye the age of 2-3, My son also does play with all the boy toy's he just likes to show affection to his dolly and his stuffed animals. I don't think it's wrong I believe it teaches them how to be affectionate with other people and things.
    MommieOf2Boys26

Answer by MommieOf2Boys26 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My 4 yr old has a doll he has to take EVERYWHERE. He calls it a "baby brother toy." It has cowboy, fireman, police and pj outfits :)
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 12:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• When I was pregnant with #2 my mom bought my DS a male baby doll so he would get used to the baby. He barely looked at it. DD didn't have much interest in it either. Both played with Barbies, Brats, trucks, blocks, legos, and hot wheels for years. Now they are older and have moved onto more mature things and the doll stroller has become a cat bed.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would say 3 or 4 is the limit then little by little after that start telling them the dollies are for pretend mommies (girls). Boys are so cute though ;)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My son has several dolls. He is four and has had them since he was born. Two Cabbage Patch ( boy and a girl), one pink tie died Teddy from Build a Bear with various outfits. Several Barbies with Ken, a doll house family, and a doll house. So yep. He has them. As far as other toys - sure. I don't stress over his choices. And two fairy miniture dolls. Sometimes I buy them on my own for him and other times he has asked.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My husband had a Cabbage Patch when he was little and my DS has a few doll-type toys. But he's more into Cars cars...so it'd be pretty wasteful of us to get him a bunch of dolls. Kwim?
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My son doesnt have any, but thats because he has never asked for one. If he had, I wouldnt have a problem getting him one. DH would prob have a mini cow like he did when he found out DS' fave color was pink.
    I bought an Ariel barbie for a friends DD bday, and my DS was 2, well he tore into the barbie, played with it for about 5 minutes and left with the Flounder fish. I had to get a new present. So he still has that Ariel barbie, but honestly can't tell you where it is.. Bottom of the toy box. My friends daughter has barbies, zombies, dragons, makeup, knights and horses. She likes it all.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have one boy and 1 girl. They can play with what every toy they want. DD is 3 and DS is 2
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have 3 boys, my oldest (or was it my middle child?) did have a "Steve" (from Blues Clues) doll when he was little, and he did play with that for a short time. But other than that my boys really have not shown much interest in dolls. If they had, and wanted a doll, then I probably would have bought it for them. My middle was very much into playing 'kitchen' - he had his own kitchen center (well mine and sis's old wooden one) and he had quite a few dishes for it. He would play with that for hours.... my 3rd had a kitchen center and a few dishes, he mostly liked playing hotwheels on the kitchen center though... and not so much into "cooking".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2011