Let them have porn?

i dont care/wouldnt care if my boy has some porn under the bed at age 15+. DH feels the same way.

My friend has a son hes almost 16 and she found some porn mags under his mattress and she flipped.

DH and i dont see anything wrong with it. what would you do?

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 12:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I see no issue with it. I don't have an issue with teens exploring their sexuality and believe it's perfectly normal. I had LOTS of porn at that age. Here's my ONLY ISSUE, I will not buy it or pay for it in any way... Now, you're probably asking why. And the answer is simple. It's not because I wish for them not to have it - I'm fine if they do. BUT, I am not risking my own neck so they can have it. There was a recent case where the parents of a 15yo boy were arrested and charged with a list of charges including sexual misconduct and aiding in the delinquency of a minor because they bought him a playboy... There is more than enough free porn online, they can get it there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I wouldn't be shocked, but I wouldn't allow it just because kids don't process sex the way adults do. Not to mention you must be 18 or older.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Honestly, because of the law - depending on the state either 18 or 21 - no. It is illegal for a child (male or female) that age to be in possession of porn material and YOU are the one that could be charged; especially if you KNOW that the material is there.

This is why we have separate sign ins on all our computers for our children and restrict what they can access from their sign in.
    While sexuality and nudity is natural - what happens in most porn materials (print or video) ISN'T!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would probably have an unnecessary cow to be honest.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• use it as a teaching opp.

one thing to keep in mind is that yes at that age kids are curious about sex. however at this age it is important to explain that porn is not the mainstream. and a parent needs to be aware how much the child is watching. it can become an addiction.

communication is the key.
    I_luv_Vera

Answer by I_luv_Vera at 1:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Of course I would flip - my husband has been fighting a porn addiction since he was a teen...He and I both know all too well damaging it can be.

...and if addictions can be genetic, hell no, not in my family!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Boy or girl, I think it would be alright at 15 or 16. I would rather a magazine then a sex life.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 2:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think it would depends on what it was. If it was something like Playboy (ie, naked pics but not sex), I would probably laugh it off. If it was seriously hardcorn stuff, I would sit down & talk about it. I would want to know why he had it--was it something that was given to him & he didn't know how to get rid of it later? Or was that how he felt. I know boys & girls need to understand that the human body is an amazing creation but that porn can be very degrading to both men & women.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 3:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Seems like normal 16 year old type of thing. I wouldn't flip out, that seems a little excessive.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i'm kinda weird i would take the opprutunity to mess with my kids head. you know take his magazines and replace with the kids highlights magazine. lol it may be wrong but it is hilarious!!!!! my mother did something like this to me but not with any porn.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 1:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2011