For Christian church going moms

Please explain your religion,for example what makes a Baptist church/service different from a Methodist church/service. I have always been curious,I was raised Catholic and now go to a non denominational church. Thank-You for your answers.

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 1:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was previously Protestant, but became Catholic about 3 yrs ago.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 1:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Me personally, i dont agree with any church..denominational/nondenominational. I have bible study with my family every night and some friends..but its more of a discussion of interpertations. The way i see it is that if i go to a church..i am listening to other peoples interpertations and understanding of the bible (thats why christianity varies so greatly we all believe the same thing but methodists interpret in their own way, so do catholics, lutheran, and so on) I have faith that God teaches me as i study..through lessons learned, disscussion..and isnt faith what our religions about.. just my views and beliefs on religion
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 1:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I go to a non - denominational service. That is also how I was raised when I was a kid. My dh was raised Lutheran. I think the way our service is different than what a lot of people attend is that we attend church on base, with military chaplains, and our congregation is made up of people from all sorts of different geographic and religious backgrounds.

Also, we share our building (and our chaplains also provide support to) all other faiths, too. Literally - the Earth Based services, the Jewish community, the Muslim Community, the Seventh Day Adventists, the "Traditional Prot. Service" the "Contemporary Prot Service (which we attend), the Full Gospel Service, and the Catholics (a Saturday evening and a Sunday morning Mass) ALL share the same building. We all get to worship in our way.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I go to a Baptist church, but do not claim it as my "religion". I feel that of all the denominations, the Baptist faith teaches the Bible the best. There are a couple things I do disagree with, but they're minor.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Renee3K-It's like your in my head LOL. I feel the same way, I attend a Baptist church because I feel they are the most Biblically sound, but even then there are small things I disagree with. Just little things though, that are really up for interpretation.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm a historic reformed Christian (that's not a denomination), our church is not affiliated with a denomination but we have people from Baptist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Catholic backgrounds attending. The major difference between our church and many other churches is the expository sermon. This is where Scripture is broken down verse-by-verse and gone over with a fine tooth comb. This method takes a great deal of time to cover even one book (it's taken us 4 years to cover Matthew), but our knowledge becomes much more in depth. We don't get the typical superficial teachings on Sunday mornings. And as we go through the verses, we do look at cross-references throughout Scripture, so it's not like we only stay within one book and ignore the rest. It's incredibly comprehensive.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• In the winter I attend a Christian church on a ski hill- no walls, no alter, just a group of like minded people gathering to say thank you, learn and reflect on all that God has created and bestowed- its beautiful and powerful and I love it-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I attend an Assembly of God and my husband attended a Southern Baptist church. The differences were many. They sang the same old songs every week and got a "salvation" message every week and they don't believe in speaking in tongues. My church has a full band that plays various styles of music, the pastor teaches how to apply Scripture to your life, and we believe in ALL the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I'm not familiar enough with other denominations enough to comment about them.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I attend a Southern Baptist church. I have been to a lot of different churches - even within the S. Baptist denomination umbrella - and they are really different from one another!!

Services in a S. Baptist church will vary WIDELY from church to church, and even service to service at the same church.

Similarities I've found? There usually is a welcome, sometimes with a choir or other non-congregational music piece, then usually some congregational worship with music and perhaps a responsive reading depending on the church (music varying from choir-led old-school hymns to concert-feel contemporary style), a message/sermon that is very different from pastor to pastor, a tithes and offerings collection, a time for response (sometimes called an altar call) all sprinkled with prayers.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I was raised in the Southern Baptist Church, and every Sunday heard a message that told me I was going to Hell no matter what I did. 11 years ago, I started attending a non-denominational church that teaches Bible based beliefs, we believe in speaking in tongues, healing, the gifts of the Holy Spirit, and love. We help one another out all week long, not just on Sunday. My daughter has grown up in this church and can tell you LOTS more than I could at her age about the Bible.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2011