Tatoos? Piercings?

what are your views on tatoos and piercings for your children?

DH and I have come to an agreement..when i DS turns 16 if he wants to get a tatoo or a piercing we would let him. As long as his grades are up to par and the tatoo is something that we agree with. Like a cross or prayer hands, moms name or a tribal. Piercings anywhere but his groin and only up to 3 piercings total.

Would you let them? or is it out of the question?

**NO BASHING!!* This is a simple debate on would you or wouldnt you not a burning at the stake for your decision**

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 1:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• House rules are as follows:

1. Tattoos or anything placed through a piercing (be it an earring or a bar or something else) must be non-offensive in nature.
    2. All Tattoos & Piercings must be in places which are easily hidden with the exception of ears, nose & tongue for piercings.
    3. Must be paid for by the person who chooses to get them - unless they are gifts.
    4. Ear Piercings have no age limit, all other piercings have a 14+ age limit and tattoos 16+

Beyond that, I'm cool with it. Once they are 18, they can tattoo and pierce anything they want. Prior to that they have to have my okay...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• He can wait until he turns 18 like I did. Then I want him to seriously consider what he's getting
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• when my kids are adults they can make decisions on what to permanently scar their bodies with. DH and I both have tats and piercings but we waited until we were adults and I think that time is important for kids to really think about what they want since it is forever
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• seems reasonable with the grades being good,gotta do to get.thast what my mother did.
    ramirezfamilia

Answer by ramirezfamilia at 7:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have many tattoos, but I still feel that it is an adult decision since the person has to live with it thier whole lives. I have no issue with piercings in highschool as long as it's above the waist(unless it's for thier doctor they shouldn't be pulling thier pants down in front of an adult) piercings can be removed and leaves minimal scarring if any at all. This rule applies to boys and girls.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 12:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• YES! At 16 will allow them a tastefl tattoo or piercing! There is no reason not to! I have tattoos ( in girlie spots... like hip, ankles, back etc.) I think that if they are good kids, with good grades, they should be allowed some freedoms!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would be ok with peircings, for boy or girl. But thats because when/if they realize having their eyebrow pierced isn't good for whatever profession they may choose I want them to have the option to remove it. Tattoos are different. At 16 your kid might think that butterfly tramp stamp is adorable, but prob not so much when they are older. I would want them to wait, be a little more mature. Have a meaning for the tattoo, not just a bugs bunny because everyone else is getting a tattoo.. When they turn 18, then I can't do anything but make sure its something they are prepared to live with. I have a friend right now in the process of removing 3 tattoos that she got when she was rebelling.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I haven't decided yet. My mom allowed me to get my belly button pierced when I was 17 amd it got infected and I have a big scar from it. I got four tattoos before I turned 18 and I regret those 4 (out of the 12 I currently have).

I will say I don't agree with someone tattooing their kids under the age of 10. I know a woman with 5 kids and she tattooed all of them under the age of 10 with their names. The four year old... She held him down while it was being done because he was screaming in pain. I think it's bull and she was reported for child abuse for doing it. Now her kids are 10 - 15 and they all have several tattoos. Not cool ones they will like later, but shitty ones they will hate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• When dd is 16 I'm sure we'd allow peircings but tatoos I personally want her to be 18 for. And no provocative peircings until she is 18 either. But dh and I both have tatoo's, I have a few peircings but we both got ours after the age of 18.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I agree with Cassie, although I still might make them wait until 18 not sure. Piercings are temporary(meaning they heal, unless they are gauged to large, on their own).

By the age of 20 I had 9 piercings and 1 tattoo. I'm now 25 and have taken all piercings out and luckily am only stuck with one tattoo that is on my wrist but can be covered if needed and is pretty innocent, just a sun(godsmack symbol actually) who's rays wrap around my wrist.

Definately 18 for tatts and maybe 16 for piercings depending on what type and deff. no gauging before 18.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2011