Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What happens if (child support, DNA)

What happens if a man has a child with someone, they break up, he ends up paying child support, then has a DNA test done a little while down the road and the child isn't his? Does he get screwed out of paying for a child that wasn't his? Can a man legally take a woman to court for something like that? I'm just genuinely curious, the thought came to my mind after reading another question on here.

Answer Question

Asked by Nanixh at 1:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Relationships

Level 30 (42,521 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Yes, he can take her to court and sue for sure, and should!

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

  • This is completely a guess but I would think he'd probably have to sue in civil court to get that money back if he wanted to do it.

    Answer by genagina at 1:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

  • I would think that unless he can prove that she definately knew the child wasn't his, which would be nearly impossible unless he has evidence of her stating otherwise from the beginning. THen he is just out of luck and the money is gone.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

  • we would stop payin and would want the money back but dony have tis prbl all the kids are grw

    Answer by betty.dugat at 1:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

  • It depends on the State, and it depends on how long the man was paying / filling the role as "father". There really isn't a "set" answer to this.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

  • If he's on the birth certificate he has to pay, espeically if they were married and his on it but isnt the father.
    IF he is able to get his named removed from the birth certificate, he doesn't get any of the money back that he paid.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

  • I think that he can, b/c my dh and I are getting ready to ss mom to court to take a dna test for ss now. Our lawyer said we could sue her for paternity fraud and she would have to pay back child support. If she refused they could even garnish her wages and tax refund. There is a petition being started now, where every father/child /mother going up for child support must take a dna test to prove paterntiy. I think it is a great idea considering some women falsy accuse a man of fathering their child then said man has to pay support. But there are dead beat dads to, my sons biodad is one. He rather get paid under the table or go to jail then pay child support.

    Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

  • Yes he can and should sue and can even get compensation for pain and suffering for thinking he had a child. If she would have said in the first place that there was a possibility of the child nt being his then the man would not have had to pay child support in the first place before DNA testing had been done. The only way they place an order for child support without DNA testing is if the man signs the birth certificate or the woman says shes sure of who the father is.

    Answer by bercasto at 1:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

  • Wow, that's kind of sad that if they're married he still has to pay for something his wife did behind his back. That seems so unfair.

    Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

  • I know it's unfair but it's also unfair to the child to stop receiving benefits because their mom is a whore. No one wins in that kind of situation.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
Date night

Next question overall (Health)
Last time you had OMG sex adult content