Has anyone ever watched the business of being born?

i want to get it but before i do does anyone know what its about .. or just tell me everything cause im very curious! i know its something about differences of home births and hospital births..

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 1:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Entertainment

• Its an awesome documentary!! You should watch it :)
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Definitely watch it! It's very eye opening. As a student midwife, I definitely feel it has an important message! I think every woman who ever plans to give birth should see it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• but... what is it about???
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 3:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It talks about the history of giving birth in hospitals in America. There are interviews with several doctors & midwives. They follow one New York midwife as she visits with a patient & then they show that patient giving birth at home. They show the midwife herself having a home birth. Ricki Lake is the director of sorts & they also show footage of her home birth. Abby Epstein is the filmmaker & she is planning a home birth but has complications & ends up at the hospital having the baby early so there are interviews with her & her partner & medical providers. Basically, it is what the title says--a movie that discusses the business of birth in America. Very well worth the 90 minutes it takes to watch it. And yes, it does show breasts & vaginas so if you aren't prepared to see that, you are forwarned.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 3:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Best freaking documentary ever! (This coming from someone who loves documentaries lol.) I personally think that every parent or person who wants a child should watch it. It goes over the differences between home birth and hospital birth and reveals a lot of things about maternity care that a lot of people either don't want to hear, refuse to believe or just don't seem to care about. The name pretty much sums it up. I think you can watch clips on YouTube, but I'm not sure. But, if you do that, there's a chance they might be edited to make it look like the movie was saying something it wasn't.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• well i watched it and it definately is an eye opener ... i realized when i gave birth to my son vaginally i ripped prolly cuz it wasnt ready yet.. i think the next time i have a baby i will suck it up and do a home birth
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yeah, that movie sure makes you want a home birth, doesn't it? It's really sad how much birth has become just another business, and how women are pressured into interventions they don't need and told to ignore their instincts. Find a good midwife and give birth the way women were meant to!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011