Over the counter sleeping pills?

I lay awake for at least an hour every night, usually more trying to fall asleep. I've tried doing relaxing things before bed and staying away from the computer and whatnot. Doesn't work. SO any suggestions for something to get me to sleep at a reasonable hour?

Mrs.Brugger

Asked by Mrs.Brugger at 1:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Health

• Benadryl or tylenol pm is safe according to my doctor but check with your doctor before taking my advice :) good luck
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I swear by Melatonin. My 12 year old has ADHD and her meds often keep her up, but taking 1mg of Melatonin right before bed helps her drift right off. You can buy it at Walmart or any drug store, and it's natural (your body makes it, but the supplement just helps kick it up a notch). It just puts your body in sleep mode, but doesn't make you groggy or anything else. Also, if you sleep with the TV or computer on nearby, try turning it off or eliminating lights, and set a timer on your TV so you know when it's time to roll over and drift off. Good luck and sweet dreams!
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 1:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• advil PMs
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 1:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Advil should not be used during pregnancy unless recommended by a doctor...
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 2:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• ORGASM!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm not pregnant.
    And we usually do the dirty deed before bedtime =] So I've got that part going for me. I even joke and use the line from the movie due date, "I had a magnificent orgasm and I'm going to sleep like a baby" (from the movie-i had a magnificent orgasm and i slept like a baby) but then i just lay there.
    Mrs.Brugger

Comment by Mrs.Brugger (original poster) at 2:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• If you're not actually in pain an advil or tylenol pm may not be the way to go if you don't want extra meds in your body. I used unisom for a long time and that helped a lot and its pretty much the same sleep aid in the pm meds without the pain killers
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 5:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Melatonin for sure. Can be found in Vitamin section. It is a natural thing that your body produces anyway to help us fall asleep, sometimes your body doesn't produce enough on it's own - so added the supplement "MELATONIN" is probably the best way to go!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Tylenol or Advil PM are decent. And I have heard great things about Melatonin
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The active ingriediant in most (if not all) the otc sleep aids is Diphenhydramine, it's the SAME drug as benadryl. So if you want to try that just find a generic benadryl, might be cheaper than a brand name sleep aid. Also Melatonin does help
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2011