To the Christian moms: if your kid decided they didnt believe in God

And were 14 and told you, how would you handle it and what would you do? I died inside and I am at a loss.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would let it be. And I would hug my child and tell them how much I love them. IMO... there are either a couple of different things going on. One they are are rebelling and trying to force God and church on them is going to get you nothing but resentment and anger. Or two, they honestly do not believe in God and pushing it will get you more anger and resentment. Either way it is going to damage the relationship with the child and that isn't worth it. Either they will come back to the church on their own if it is rebellion. They won't be able to rebel that way anymore if you don't give them the resistance to it. Or they really do not believe in God and won't ever come back.
    Personally I believe that all paths lead to God and even if they don't believe in God, if they are a good person, they will have eternal salvation. You have given them a good foundation, let them figure out how to negotiate it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would know i raised her right.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• wow,i dont think i could handle that either.i really dont know what to say other than i will pray for you guys.you guys are in my thoughts and prayers<3
    ANGELINA1988CN

Answer by ANGELINA1988CN at 1:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• either its a phase or your child can think for themselves either way mom you have to stay calm and not judge or push the issue.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would be more concerned about what happened to make her change her mind. Sometimes a loss of faith indicates a crisis. Just ask her why! Sometimes a fresh pair of ears can make a big difference!
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 1:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm not sure, I guess I would not push them to believe but show them how God is awesome and what he does daily for each of us. Like today I had food on my table, what a blessing. Start making more comments about how thankful you are :) other than that, I'm not ssure hun. Prayers.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i would be devastated but God gave us free will and i would let her have hers..I would just hope that with everything i have taught her she will wake up one day. Some times it takes something dramatic to happen to us that we put our faith in god. when i was a teenager i studied Wicca..then it went to believing in nothing. I always knew about God...I will never forget the day that He came back into my life. (long story) and i have been a devout christian ever since
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 1:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Just like your children could never be gay right anon? It just doesn't happen to perfect mothers... give me a break. This woman is asking for help not asking you to tell her how this would never happen to someone like you. She doesnt need to feel any worse.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't know if you attend church regularly or not But I'd have him talk to your pastor. I'm sure it's just a phase, we all go through our times of doubt and disbelief.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'd be happy they felt comfortable enough to talk to me and that they felt they could be honest about how they truly felt.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2011